Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What goes first in the 4L80e?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What goes first in the 4L80e?

picked up a 4l80e from an 05 Van. Its a rebuilt GM unit. I just wanted to go thru it before I ran it and give it the quick once over. Maybe put in some stronger clutches and whatnot. Is there anything you guys can recommend for a cheap reliability increase?. Its going behind a 600rwhp turbo motor in a 2800lb mustang. I had a stock one in a 500rwhp 3800lb GN and it died after about 10k miles. Id like to keep this one a little longer if possible
Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transgo -2 kit if you don't want to tear into it.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the transgo HD2 to raise some pressure on the 3rdgear clutch pack.

That's a light car. Shouldn't be hard on it at all.
After the HD2
I'd be more likely to think it will break because of some stupid little metal tab or clip breaking then actually an initial major failure.

How did your last one die and what was done to it? If it was bone stock without even and HD2 and you got 10k out of it beating on it with a heavy car and stock pressure, that's nothing to complain about really.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
I second the transgo HD2 to raise some pressure on the 3rdgear clutch pack.

That's a light car. Shouldn't be hard on it at all.
After the HD2
I'd be more likely to think it will break because of some stupid little metal tab or clip breaking then actually an initial major failure.

How did your last one die and what was done to it? If it was bone stock without even and HD2 and you got 10k out of it beating on it with a heavy car and stock pressure, that's nothing to complain about really.
dont know what happened to it. it was after i sold it. I just heard from the next owner. I had only bumped the pressure in the tune. nothing else was done to it
Old 12-21-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

other than clutches and seals, you can use a no walk thrust washer in the rear, longer bushing in the stator-the fourth clutch is hard to assemb. if you dont have the tool-i have been beating on mine a while now, still hanging in there, but gonna build a spare this winter anyway
Sonnax has some of the above stuff for upgrading-a good cleaning of the valve body doenst hurt either