Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fluid Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Fluid Help

I know this may come off as stupid. How much fluid should I need for the trans? (yes i searched) I just installed a fresh performabuilt trans and Yank 3600 I put about 5 quarts in (the write up said add 7-8 quarts which seemed a bit high to start with), let the car idle to warmup. I wasnt getting much reading on the dipstick so I added a quart or so. I check again and it is reading low on the stick so i added like half a quart and it reads right where it should be. I go and cruise around my block a few times get home and check the dipstick and cant get a reading because the fluid is like 3/4 up the dipstick. This is the second day I have with the same thing happening.

Does this sound like I put to much fluid in or is the trans fluid getting so hot that it is wanting to boil out the tube? I do have a trans cooler previous setup was stock trans and TCI 3000. I dont have a temp gauge and for some reason my HPtuners will not pull up the trans temp.

The car is running fine shifting through all gears, lockup is working perfectly. I havent given any wot just driven around the block.

Last edited by 98Blubrd; 02-05-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's a bit too full. I'd pull a little out, which will be tricky.
I don't remember how much I ended up putting in my Performabuilt, but it was in that range. But when it got close, I was careful to only add a little at a time.
Also, when topping off, it should be on a hot transmission only, I guess it expands quite a bit when it heats up.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I did a bone dry trans and new converter. It took 2 gallons and 1 extra quart. I thought it was full at 7 quarts and after driving a few miles i would check it and the level went down. I added another quart and it was topped off then a few more miles and it was low again. Finally stopped dropping at 9 quarts total.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

when you fill them, you have to run thru the gears (diff pressures) then ck them-the level also rises a little after it gets hot
did you ck both sides of the stick, i have found sometimes 1 side reads higher, maybe it wipes the tube when pulling the stick out
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by forcd ind
when you fill them, you have to run thru the gears
I did run through all the gears manually a little while driving around the block and even when the car was warming up in the garage parked. I guess I will run it around the block again tommorow and see if it goes down. if not I must just have to much fluid. This is the second day of letting it warm up and cool down so it might just be to much fluid.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 AM
TECH Regular

Final fluid amount yet? I am in the middle of putting new transmission with Vigilante, and I am up to 11 quarts.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely hate the transmission dipstick in these cars. I can never tell what the level is at. The only method that seems to somewhat work is to check if the holes are filled with oil or not. If they are not then I continue to add.

I had to add 12 quarts before I got to that level. But I also have a large pan that takes 3-4 quarts more than stock.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

did you pull the stick,wipe it then put it back in and pull it a second time then read it? cause the first pull is always gonna have a false reading.

Proper procedure. start the car and let it warm up. then without driving it hold the brake and go through all the gears a few times then put it back in park. pull the stick,wipe it then put it back in. then pull it and check the level.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
I absolutely hate the transmission dipstick in these cars. I can never tell what the level is at. The only method that seems to somewhat work is to check if the holes are filled with oil or not. If they are not then I continue to add.

I had to add 12 quarts before I got to that level. But I also have a large pan that takes 3-4 quarts more than stock.
Your pan holds 3 -4 extra quarts. ANd you only put 12 in totaL
l
Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve40th
Your pan holds 3 -4 extra quarts. ANd you only put 12 in totaL
l
The transmission was put through a dyno test and then drained, so it already had some fluid left in the internals right before install. From that we figured it would only need 10. But it took the full 12 before it was at the correct level. The car has maybe seen 80 miles since the install so I will continue to check it once the car comes out.