Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a stall. TCI? Auto guys help me out. Should i use a saw zaw??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought a stall. TCI? Auto guys help me out. Should i use a saw zaw??

So i bought a 3000 TCI streegfighter.....

Thing looks real good, im sure its fine but i have my trans out being gone through, now my delima is that ive heard very few things about TCI and was wondering how they are. I am not wanting to lock the clutch on the dyno to get numbers, and wont do that in the 1/4 or anything like that. just using as a stall so the smaller lock up isnt really a concern of mine.

BUT should i be worried about it? i was wanting to go with a 3600 or 4000 but i got a decent deal on this one. I would like to have a yank or vig but couldnt swing the funds right now. SO...

Im going to sell my 6.0 build parts to buy a new converter. the trans was a BIT(H to get out and i dont want to do it again. ( i had to saw zaw 2 of the 3 converter bolts off! the dealer rounded them out last time they put a tranny in the car! UGH!) Im just wanting a little feedback on it should i run it for a season or should i hold off and get a yank?

Anyone ran a TCI? and input? ive worried myself now! lol i trust the converter is good thats not the issue. Just wanting to know if my setup will kill it or would i be ok for a season? I know there a decent converter other than the clutch but is there anything else i should look for?

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by NAVY99B4C; 02-16-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Some with TCIs run them for years without failure, some run them for a couple months and then they spit clutch through the tranny. Here's your real question you should ask yourself. If the converter fails and shoots **** through your trans, are you prepared to pay to have your trans completely torn down and cleaned bc of the TCI, and then willing to spend money on a better converter the second time around? If yes then run it. If no, sell it and buy something better before reinstalling your trans.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

IDK i talked to alot of people and they say that if you dont try to lock the clutch then it will last just fine.

Others eem to think the clutch will go out in just normal driving and it shouldnt.

im just not sure what i would do.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Some with TCIs run them for years without failure, some run them for a couple months and then they spit clutch through the tranny. Here's your real question you should ask yourself. If the converter fails and shoots **** through your trans, are you prepared to pay to have your trans completely torn down and cleaned bc of the TCI, and then willing to spend money on a better converter the second time around? If yes then run it. If no, sell it and buy something better before reinstalling your trans.
I agree with this post 100%. There was an old post that compared TCI and some other big name converters I believe vig. Do a search in the auto section. I know yank and circle-d have tax return sales going on right now.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

I went thru two tci converters in my 4l60e They fixed them both times. They finally sent me thier billet steel one and it lasted till I sold it to a guy on here that still runs it.
If you drive around on the street and dont race it everyweekend I think you fine.
Question is that a new one or a use one?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

its used yes.
yes it looks like your picture.
i run about every other weekend. so what that mean? using it is using it street or strip.
Keep them cool and they will last a long time.

So whats wrong with the style i got?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVY99B4C
So whats wrong with the style i got?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...education.html
Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I ran my TCI 3000 daily driving for three years with many trips to the track with no problems. Worked perfectly from day one till I pulled it to move up to SS3600.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It was mentioned one time that TCI sells a ton more converters than all the other guys put together. So that's why you occasionally here about the bad issues with them because there are so many more out there.

Really, I don't have any idea, but 'I remember reading it here once, so it's gospel'.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a fan of TCI converters.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

i will never run a tci converter ever again. converter blow up within 3000 miles and took the tranny out. they sent me a new converter and i just sold it and bought a ptc of texas.