Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 Shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Th400 Shifting problems

I know this is a adjustment problem, and its driving me nuts...bought this off a member..So I know it works right, Im just apparently retarded. Ive talked to him and hes helped me as he can without accually driving up here and learnin my ***

Parts:
Th400 RMVB
B&M Hammer Shifter

As per the instructions I placed the transmission in low and then shifter all the way back and adjusted the cable to fit in the first hole, then shifted both into park and re-adjusted. Now heres the problem, its not a small adjustment its about 1/4in or so maybe less. So when I adjust it, It will no line up with any other hole now. So the next thing I do loosen the accual arm on the transmission just a tad so it will take up the little adjustment...well this dosnt work either. BEST ive got it to do is shift out of park into reverse fine, neutral fine, first fine, second fine, third fine. BUT when I go to shift it back down, I no longer have neutral, its accually first, but when I shift to where first should be it does nothing, but then shift to second is fine as well as third.

Has anybody else had a problem similar to this...what did you do to fix it? Ive messed with this for hours and I just cant seem to get it right. I dont like test driving the car everytime to have it still wrong and do possible damage to the transmission. To me it seems im just barely out of adjustment, because when you put it back in park its not really all the way in. If you push the car you can hear something "grind".

Any advice would be great, pictures of the cable set up would be a plus too, like where the adjustment nuts are on the threaded portion of the cable.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Default here ya go

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...bmm-hammer.pdf

hey give me a call if you need more info, ill try to walk you thru it best i can
Old 02-20-2010, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Thats what I was going off of. I did a little adjusting today. Now it will go through the gears fine down to third but im still having trouble with 1&N on the downshift part. Its just barely out of adjustment now. Now it will go into park lol.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it right before you drive it, that will tear up a tranny if its not right. I have A RVMB 400 that I built and had no trouble getting my hurst pro-matic to work right but my friend that helped me adjust it had a really hard time with his. He has a glide and a TCI outlaw & ended up having to weld up the hole in the shift arm on the trans and re drill the hole about an 1/8" away to get his right.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

take a good look at the pic of the shifter, make sure the cable is installed like the pic-the cable has a piece on it that bolts it to the shifter, it goes to the outside of the shifter frame-sometimes people dont realize it, and mount the cable bracket on the inside of the shifter frame, where they show the nut going-that will make it not line up down on the trans in all the gears
other than that, using the wrong hole on the shift lever
Old 02-20-2010, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

I got it. I loosen'd the shifter arm on the trans and put it in park after setting the cable for 3rd. then lined up the arm wit the cable swivel and tighten'd down the arm. WALA! every gear is solid now. The problem I had was when I put the arm back on the transmission I tightend it down before setting anything. Thats where the original problem was, It was out of wack.

Quick Reply: Th400 Shifting problems