Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E snapped input now what else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E snapped input now what else?

Driving to work the other day and blew the box went bang on the 1-2 at WOT. It's a built box so I towed the car back to the builder whi said it was a shorn input shaft where it goes into the converter.

Got the car back with a new input and after only 150miles of easy driving it went into something like limp home mode. Strange thing is there is no check engine light and the speedo isn't moving.

I tried a new VSS but no change. The car will try to move in d-3-2-1- but in R just makes a whirring noise and won't move.

If I put the car in N I am not able to push it backwards at all with the engine running or not.

What am I looking at here because it's starting to get expensive to fix if it's just going to keep breaking
Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well you have broken something since it wont roll or move backward but with the speedo not working you also have some sort of electrical issue too when going forward.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out the output shaft let go in spectacular fashion. Everything inside was mangled and it requires a full rebuild due to the amount of alloy swarf through the trans and converter

It's under warranty but we still don't know what caused the failure. I'm running small power, actually alot less than the trans is set up for because I haven't intercooled yet but would that cause a failure due to overly firm shifts?

pics coming soon
Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes excessivley harsh shifts will cause such things to happen even with lower powered cars

Call 888-744-6542