Sponsored by:

3-4 clutches in my A4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3-4 clutches in my A4?

Hello,

I have a couple questions on my 4L60-E that my dad's friend is rebuilding me. I went to the trans shop to order parts and asked about a heavy duty 3-4 clutch pack like the Raybestos Zpack and he gave me a kit and said these are Raybestos Green clutches and said they were heavier duty. However, I don't think they are after some research....plus I haven't heard of them so I"m assuming they are just good for a stock rebuild.

He also told me he doesn't recommend getting a wider band (2-4 I believe) but didn't say why....? I know alot of guys run the billet servo for fourth gear as well as a wider band and heavy duty clutch pack but why would the guy not recommend it? I already bought the corvette servo for the 1-2 shift.
I need to get another part so I'm going to go back and see if I can get the Zpack but would you guys recommend the wider band or no? Is the billet servo too aggressive? Sorry, I"m not really familiar with transmissions but I know there are some great builders on this site that might be able to shed some light. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Hello,

I have a couple questions on my 4L60-E that my dad's friend is rebuilding me. I went to the trans shop to order parts and asked about a heavy duty 3-4 clutch pack like the Raybestos Zpack and he gave me a kit and said these are Raybestos Green clutches and said they were heavier duty. However, I don't think they are after some research....plus I haven't heard of them so I"m assuming they are just good for a stock rebuild.

He also told me he doesn't recommend getting a wider band (2-4 I believe) but didn't say why....? I know alot of guys run the billet servo for fourth gear as well as a wider band and heavy duty clutch pack but why would the guy not recommend it? I already bought the corvette servo for the 1-2 shift.
I need to get another part so I'm going to go back and see if I can get the Zpack but would you guys recommend the wider band or no? Is the billet servo too aggressive? Sorry, I"m not really familiar with transmissions but I know there are some great builders on this site that might be able to shed some light. Thanks.
I personally am not a fan of the zpack but I do like the factory high energy clutches for a 4l65e from Borg Warner. The ones you mentioned from Raybestos are their version of high energy clutches. I think they are fine.

A billet servo is for more aggressive applications and in most cases a factory servo is just fine. The only 2nd gear billet servo I would recommend is the one from sonnax. In my opinion the other servo's do not compare. Just my 2 cents.

In your transmission you should already have a vet servo for 2nd gear. Not sure what your builder does not like the wide band. I have been using them for years and they work great. The one thing I do recommend is if you use one make sure that you have a new reverse input drum or one that is very flat when checking it with a straight edge.

I hope this info helps you out some. Vince
Old 03-07-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Vince, yes that helps. Actually, it's not the builder that didn't suggest the wider band, it was the guy at the trans shop where I got all the parts. Maybe they just didn't sell the wider bands.

Regardless, I'm planning on going with a wider, reinforced band (yes already bought a new reverse input drum), the Sonnax "Super hold" 4th gear servo, and then I can't make up my mind on either the Zpack 3-4 clutches or borg warner High Energy with Kolene steels? I'm actually am having a hard time finding a place that sells the BW High Energy or I probably would have bought them by now.

You said you're not a fan of the Zpack? Is that because they are single sided? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but does the Zpack not use steels in between the clutches because they are single sided? Thanks again.