Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test for locked up converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test for locked up converter?

I have a 5.3 with 4L60e. It has a Transgo HD kit and Vigilante 3200 stall. The car has never been driven or even put into gear until today. I let it warm up and put it in drive. It made a chattering noise and stalled.

I disconnected the round plug in the tranny, started it, put it in Drive and the chattering noise was gone but it still wanted to stall. With my foot firmly on the brake and keeping the rpms up just a little bit while putting it in drive, no chattering noise but it wanted to stall.

I installed the torque converter. I turned it and pressed forward until it clicked. When I mounted it to the transmission, it pulled the converter forward about 1/4" or so ( just guessing). It seems that went in alright.

It does have a mail order tune and the Transgo kit and Vigilante converter weren't considered. Hopefully it's just a tuning problem. Is there a way to see if it's locked? What does the chattering noise tell you while the electronics were plugged in but not when it was unplugged? Any other advice?

Jeff
Old 03-07-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

I dont know why or who told you to Un plug the trans but fix that..... hook everything back up.. Put the back of the car on jackstands and start it.. make sure to apply brakes while shifting...
Old 03-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Launching!

It sounds like there is a problem with the lockup solenoid.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

For someone that knows very little about auto transmissions (me), I'm not sure what to do next. It's very possible I did the transgo kit wrong since it was my first time but I did take my time and work on it slowly.

Are you all saying it is likely a problem with the kit I installed, the torque converter, or transmission? Could I have damaged the tranny or torque converter? It made the chattering noise and I put it back in park immediately. What would disconnecting the torque converter tell me? This wouldn't be related to the tune?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
11 Second Truck Club

did you put any ATF in the converter prior to the install, and is the fluid level full now?
By stall do you mean the engine dies or it revs high before the tire start to roll?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Yes, I put a full court of fluid in the converter before installing and then filled the rest of the transmission before I started it so it had plenty of fluid.

Yes, it idles very nice but when put in gear it dies. Doesn't rev high or anything - goes from idling great to dead when put in gear. Makes me wonder if it's just the tune not increasing the idle a bit before it goes in gear?

Even taking it out and inspecting it, I don't know what to look for. I guess I'm going to have to find a place in Dallas that can take a look.

Thank you.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:19 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be something as simple as getting the idle adjusted. Sometimes when a smaller diameter converter is installed the idle in gear will need to be adjusted.

If when you place the trans in gear, if it feels like a manual trans coming to a stop when you forget to push the clutch in, you might want to check some of the following. It could be an issue with either the converter, lock up solenoid, pump or even a pinched ground wire for the tcc solenoid.

These are a few things for you to look at. I hope this helps. Vince
Old 03-14-2010, 06:03 PM

i would like to know the out come of your problem as i have the same problem. i do know alot about automatics, have rebuilt them for years. this one is a challange. stalls when you put it in drive or reverse, like you let the clutch out. i rebuilt it and have no codes in pcm. pulled trans agian found forward clutches burnt up, converter clutch was not locked. replaced covertor solenoid anyway reinstalled same thing. one odd thing my scanner showed the trans in first gear when in park or nuetral. anyone have an idea, maybe i don't know alot afterall.