Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans fluid changed color on me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fluid changed color on me?

I was at the Dyno Friday when i decided to check my Transmission Fluid, oh; by the way i have an 4L65E transmission....when i notice my transmission fluid had changed from it's normal reddish color to a grayish black.

so i contacted the Guy who sold me the torque converter Greg at FTI...and he said that sometimes the Dexron V1 looses it' color rather quickly do to the heat generated from the converter itself, the fluid did not smell burnt....so he suggested to make sure the transmission shifted ok, which it did....and to flush it, or service the transmission and not worry about it....so i did, i installed a new filter, gasket and some thirteen quarts of Mobil one synthetic Dexron fluid....but my mind is not at ease, could i have a pin hole in the radiator spewing antifreeze into the trans fluid?

And maybe that's why my trans fluid discolored?

i had the new GM Dexron V1 trans fluid for over eight months, since i installed an FTI converter plus a Derale pan and an B&M trans cooler....
Old 03-14-2010, 05:52 AM
10 Second Club

if you've had it installed that long and it's now just changing color I'd say it's probably clutch material. is the trans stock?
also, I wouldnt have gone with full synthetic, most builders recommend NOT to do that.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
if you've had it installed that long and it's now just changing color I'd say it's probably clutch material. is the trans stock?
also, I wouldnt have gone with full synthetic, most builders recommend NOT to do that.
Yeah man the trans is stock....i used synthetic cause i thought that Dexron V1 was not doing it's job.....i could always go back to some other trans fluid. it will be a bit expensive but i could drain, fill and go for a while....till i change it over...what would you recommend?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

see if Performabuilt can give you a suggestion, either way, having gray fluid is not good.
Trans may start slipping before too long.