Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whirring/whining noise...wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default whirring/whining noise...wtf?

heres what i have: TH400, no brake. with a neal chance 4K nitrous converter.

went to the track for a rental about 2 weeks ago. everything went fine all day. made about 15 passes, only hot lapped once early on in the day. and made 1 nitrous pass mid day, the others were all on motor.

car ran fine all day long. went on the trailor just fine as well. motor runs fine, OP is fine.

pull the car off the trailer and took it around the block when we got home. i noticed pulling her down i have a whirring/or whining noise that makes it sound like i have a SC directly under the car, coming from the area of the converter or the front pump of the trans.

the car shifted fine, checked the fluid and its not burnt nor can i see shavings on the dipstick. i havent been able to get under the car or anything since that day. but i just wanted to see if anyone experienced this?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the large circular gear in the pump; if it has scoring on the outside can make a whining noise.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

ill certainly give that i a look when i get in there. would that mean the pump needs replacing?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
Does it use a vacuum modulator or a vac mod plug (max line pressure)

Has max line pressure been checked ever?

It could be a ton of things from a leaky filter tube seal from a hard launch to a buzzing pressure valve, or bad gears, bad torrington bearing.

The problem should be obvious during a total teardown.
i believe it has a plug, since there is no external vacuum modulater that i can see.

if it was bad gears or bearing wouldnt effect how the transmission shifts? as i said it actually shifts and drove fine at speed with no excess vibration either.

total teardown is beyond my capabilites with a trans. ill change fluid/filter over the weekend, and see whats going on in the pan. so if i see anything i shouldnt and the problem persists then ill take it out and send it for a check/rebuild.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

well since it all has to come out anyway i am going to bring it to a tranny builder i trust. Danny at a-1 in md, most of the local racers use him.

if this wasnt the only 400 i had i would dig into it myself. but i would rather learn hand on from someone with experience. lol i can do anything with a motor/rear. but dont trust myself with a trans.

i have been trying to contact marty@racingconverters about a rebuild on the converter but no answer yet.

actually come to think of it. the whole thing sounds like a PS pump would if it was low on fluid or had air in the lines.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like either the pump or converter. Also could be a restriction with filter. How is the fluid level? Low fluid can cause noise also.

Quick Reply: whirring/whining noise...wtf?