Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 help!! Car doesnt move???

Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Th400 help!! Car doesnt move???

OK.... car has 408 with th400 and a custom converter from yank. I ran the car last season and and at mid track the car reved as if it had went to neutral, I limped the car back to the trailer, pulled the trans when I got home and sent it back to the company that built it. The company honored the warranty and rebuilt it and have had it completed sence Oct. I picked it up a couple weeks ago and got it in the car last night. I had trouble filling the trans with fluid (lokar dipstick) acted like pressure was building up in the trans and pushing back up the dipstick tube so I removed the pan for inspection didnt see an issue, poured fluid through the tube with the pan off and seem ok. So I filled the trans pan and then bolted it up topped off the fliud and sarted the car allowed it to idle for a few mins and attemtped to put it in gear but the car wouldnt move with the wheels off the ground?? Could there be an issue with my conveter?? Converter spacing, ETC, ETC?? Also I have another conveter the and ran for a while that I plan swap in to try to see if this is the problem. Someone please help!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Not sure what broke in the trans. The converter has never been sent out.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
Not the best idea to put a converter full of trash back with a fresh transmission. Same with the cooler, did you change it or flush it?

You could have just smoked your freshly rebuilt trans
Old 04-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Teching In

The fluid in both the trans and the conveter looked and smelled fine after the issue at the track. Im not sure if the trans even had an issue I just sent it out and the company supposely went through it. The trans company always blames the converter company and the conveter company blames the trans guy???? I guess my real question is could the conveter cause this issue.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Is your shifter linkage the correct tension? I could be wrong, but its just a suggestion.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for all your input. I will be the first to admitt I know very little about transmissions but to just jump right in and "get dirty" without asking for a few pointers just doesnt make much sence to me. Just thought I would "measure twice- cut once", but then agian I a little new!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSPRAYD CAMARO
The fluid in both the trans and the conveter looked and smelled fine after the issue at the track. Im not sure if the trans even had an issue I just sent it out and the company supposely went through it. The trans company always blames the converter company and the conveter company blames the trans guy???? I guess my real question is could the conveter cause this issue.

This is why I had PTC build my converter and my th350!!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Usually, if you cannot get fluid through the dipstick, the pump is not circulating fluid and pulling the fluid from the pan. Even if the sprag in the stator was bad, the hub would still drive the pump gears and circulate the atf. Did you get the converter in all the way to engage the gears? You should have had approx. 3/8" between the converter and the flexplate once the trans was bolted to the block. BroInc has good advice to pull one of the lines and see if it is pumping atf. Can you get back with more info?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odarabla
This is why I had PTC build my converter and my th350!!
I got a PTC converter in my car also

Search this Thread