Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What hose to use with trans cooler???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What hose to use with trans cooler???

What rating / type of hose is best to use with a trans cooler...???
Old 04-04-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

transmission cooler hose

most transmission cooler kits come with them.

just make sure when you wire you your new transmission cooler you do not bypass the factory transmission cooler that is in the radiator, having both of them will cool the transmission much better

run it in a way that the air to oil cooler gets the transmission oil that has already went threw the water to oil cooler that is located in the rad
Old 04-05-2010, 06:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

power steering ruturn hase will work well also. DO NOT USE FUEL LINE!!!!!

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 04-05-2010, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Just go with the included hose that comes with the kits, because i have been using the one in my kit for 100+ miles now with no leaks. I also put a piece of cardboard under my cooler/lines everytime i get out of the car to pump gas ,get groceries etc. . . a bit excessive but hey .. . gets the job done.

On the other hand if you don't have a kit hose, then yea definitly listen to Greg x2 on the Power Steering hose.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't think the Derale 13900 kit I purchased would have enough hose for my project...Sorry about the stupid question I wasn't thinking..haha..I tend to overthink the small things....Thanks for the replies...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your initial question, Hayden has a lifetime warranty on their hose, (comes with their coolers). It can be ordered/bought seperately at most trans shops. We use HD clamps for the install. We've never had a failure in over 20 years.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by elias_799
do not bypass the factory transmission cooler that is in the radiator, having both of them will cool the transmission much better
^
This is wrong.

Bypass the radiator and just use the external cooler. The radiator will defeat the purpose of the other cooler by heating your tranny fluid.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i need hoses and fittings ive got the B&M supercooler but no fittings/hoses
Old 04-06-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Resident

I am using Russell's ProClassic hose for my fuel lines...will this work for trans cooler lines also??
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
^
This is wrong.

Bypass the radiator and just use the external cooler. The radiator will defeat the purpose of the other cooler by heating your tranny fluid.
you are wrong

my motor runs at 170 degrees the transmission fluid that comes out un cooled is much higher then that , so first it goes threw the rad where the temperature is dropped, and the water temperature in the rad is usually lower then it is in the motor so it will still take some heat out and then it is cooled further by the oil to air cooler

even when i had a factory thermostat in my car, the transmission temperature where in the 250 degree range when the car was driven hard and the motor was at no more then 210.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put in a transbraked T400 conversion,from a T56, and used SS braided -AN6 hose with a 42,000 GVW cooler, no radiator.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

This debate has been going on longer than some of you have been alive. As long as the cooler is separated from the radiator when mounted, (at least an inch), and in front of the radiator and condensor, the trans temperature wil be lower from 6*-8* to over 30* in some cases. In the 32 years I've been in this industry, I've found the best way to get the coolest temps were to mount the cooler in the front and separate the cooler from the radiator and run only the cooler and not the radiator-UNLESS-you have a lock-up converter and live in cooler climates and prefere to have the lock-up engage on time in the winter months. If the cooler is not in-line with the radiator, it will take a long time to engage, if at all in some cases. If you park your car in the winter and drive in excessive heat in the summer, cooler only.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
This debate has been going on longer than some of you have been alive. As long as the cooler is separated from the radiator when mounted, (at least an inch), and in front of the radiator and condensor, the trans temperature wil be lower from 6*-8* to over 30* in some cases. In the 32 years I've been in this industry, I've found the best way to get the coolest temps were to mount the cooler in the front and separate the cooler from the radiator and run only the cooler and not the radiator-UNLESS-you have a lock-up converter and live in cooler climates and prefere to have the lock-up engage on time in the winter months. If the cooler is not in-line with the radiator, it will take a long time to engage, if at all in some cases. If you park your car in the winter and drive in excessive heat in the summer, cooler only.
^

This, but my recommendation is to bypass the radiator. My car is a fair weather car. I have tuned my car to allow the converter to lock when the trans is 50* FWIW in 100* weather my trans temp have never been over 180*, whether it be stop and go traffic or racing at the track.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:52 AM
TECH Resident

I won't be running any lines to radiator...This is for my conversion project in my sig...I'll only be using a Derale 13900 kit ...just need to know if the Russell ProClassic hose will work..I'm using on the rest of truck and would like to use on the trans lines so that everything matches and is streamlined....
Old 04-09-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Has anyone used Russell's ProClassic hose as their trans cooler hose???

Quick Reply: What hose to use with trans cooler???