Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too much clearence= no 3-4 shift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too much clearence= no 3-4 shift?

Would too much clearence on the clutches in the reverse input drum cause a trans to not have 3rd and 4th gear? reason im asking is my clutches are burnt up after two weeks of driving after having my trans built (had to baby it into 3rd and 4th to get it to go into those gearsafter rebuild) and seems there is too much clearence to me.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Launching!

No.It sounds like you have a pressure problem.What was done to the trans?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

was rebuilt iusing a tci kit and new upgraded valve body and all new solenoids except the tcc solenoid but my clutches in the reverse input drum are shot and from what my local trans guy said is the clearances sre way off and the frictions and steels are installed wrong. i dont know much about trannys but hooping someone can help me out.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:43 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

The reverse/input drum has nothing to do with the 3-4 shift. If the clutches in the R/I drum are burnt, chances are that the feed/bleed hole has a restrictor installed in the apply piston. Take out the restrictor, or get another piston that has not been modified. Make sure that you have .040" - .070" clutch clearance. As for the 3-4 clutch pack, make sure that the clutch clearance is .020" - .035". Use Borg Warner Hi-Energy clutches and install 8 of them. There is more that should be done here as far as a larger boost valve, modified separator plate, etc.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

ok the guy who built my trans im guessing had never done a performance build before because it had the high performance clutches (8) oppossed to the 6 that come stock but yet he only used 6 thats why i had so much clearance which im sure caused some problems. what a nightmare i paid 2000 for this. well hopefully everything will work out everytthing else internally looks good so putting everything back together and hoping that the new clutches and band will take care of my problems. if not its either in my valve body or in the servo possibly
Old 04-18-2010, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

well i was the one who tore it apart i just have a local trans guy as my second opinion guy. would of had him build it but he says he wont touch the 4l60e just replace them. but anyway when i took the drum out it had over a quarter of an inch of clearance. ALSO MY TRANS HAD NO 3-4 GEARS NEVER MADE THE SHIFT OUT OF 2ND. my 1-2 shift was very soft but it shifted and after that it would like throw itsself into nuetral never shifting into 3 or 4 does that sound like something this can do? thanks for all the help i appreciate it a ton
Old 04-18-2010, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

no i didnt build it myself im tearing it apart now to see if i can fix it myself the trans guy that is helping is not the one who built it either. that is how i found that the 3-4 clutches were burnt up and have about a quarter of an inch of clearance.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

no i didnt build it myself im tearing it apart now to see if i can fix it myself the trans guy that is helping is not the one who built it either. that is how i found that the 3-4 clutches were burnt up and have about a quarter of an inch of clearance. give me a call or text i can explain better 505-240-0832 name is Gilbert
Old 04-18-2010, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

original trsns guy built the trans wouldnt warranty his work or anything so im now tearing it apart with the help of another trans builder this one is local the guy who originally built it was from phoenix az. would have the guy thats helping me build it for me but he says he doesnt do rebuilds it takes to long as opposed to getting a new one so i just go ask him questions when i need his help and he gives me tips and ideas and his thoughts on what went wrong
Old 04-19-2010, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks i appreciate it a ton and this forum is such a great help im always willing to hear any input or advice from the guys on here. Just in case they no something from a previous experience Thanks for the help
Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tallreyes
original trsns guy built the trans wouldnt warranty his work or anything so im now tearing it apart with the help of another trans builder this one is local the guy who originally built it was from phoenix az. would have the guy thats helping me build it for me but he says he doesnt do rebuilds it takes to long as opposed to getting a new one so i just go ask him questions when i need his help and he gives me tips and ideas and his thoughts on what went wrong
Originally Posted by tallreyes
well i was the one who tore it apart i just have a local trans guy as my second opinion guy. would of had him build it but he says he wont touch the 4l60e just replace them. but anyway when i took the drum out it had over a quarter of an inch of clearance. ALSO MY TRANS HAD NO 3-4 GEARS NEVER MADE THE SHIFT OUT OF 2ND. my 1-2 shift was very soft but it shifted and after that it would like throw itsself into nuetral never shifting into 3 or 4 does that sound like something this can do? thanks for all the help i appreciate it a ton
soooooo...your "trans guy" doesnt fix transmissions? He just replaces them? And this is the guy helping you fix the trans? .........the guy who doesnt fix transmissions.....??
Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

he does fix transmissions and is known locally for doing great at it but he said he is way to busy right now to take on another build that he dont want to have more projects than he can chew at once so he said he would only do it for me if i just replaced it all togrther if not he said it would be a while before he could get to my transmission.