Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some advice please. Flexplate to block clearance issues LS1/th400

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default I need some advice please. Flexplate to block clearance issues LS1/th400

I've hit a road block during my TH400/LS2 install. I just removed my old 4l60e and stock flexplate. The new flexplate is the ATI version for the ls/400 swaps. A yank 6 lug for the application is going in with everything. The converter has the longer snout on the front cover. On the ATI it specifically says "ENGINE SIDE" on one side of the FP, but it seems to be way to close to the block. It touches the teeth on the starter too. The first couple of pics show this. the measurement is about .032" gap.
In the next two pictures, I was able to slide a 5/16th drill bit in between the two BUT, this is by flipping the flexplate around and pointing the engine side towards the Trans side. My stock flexplate looks very different from the ATI. The stock is more offset, or similar to a dish whereas the ATI is flat. Just slightly offset on one side. I have confirmed that this ATI part # is correct. There are no spacers being used.

Can you guys help me out here?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm now wondering if this flexplate is designed to use a spacer with the crankshaft adapter and a TH400 specific converter. Not an LS converter.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does look to close I have the TCI sfi ls1 flexplate and had no issues. I would send that back. There should never be a spacer with a flexplate
Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it does'nt matter now, I went to Summit today and picked up the 399753 TCI flexplate. It is a Much better piece than the ATI anyways. It bolted up to my 6 lug Yank and everything.
I'm selling the other for $85 shipped if anyone's needing it. Brand new.

Quick Reply: I need some advice please. Flexplate to block clearance issues LS1/th400