Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broke my sprag

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

You can look into the bottom of the case and move the intermediate clutches with a small screw driver or a scribe. You need .030" minimum of travel.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PBA
You can look into the bottom of the case and move the intermediate clutches with a small screw driver or a scribe. You need .030" minimum of travel.
cool, i did not think of that.

rebuild kit showed up today. got it all done up to the sun shell and taking a break to go to hooters for all you can eat wings cuz the wife is getting home in about an hour. but basically its all going together ok. the new race wont be here til tomorow so im not really in a hurry.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

was air checking the forward drum and direct drum on the pump and i notice i had a decent air leak. well whoever built this trans (tci) used two torington bearings behind the pump. im guesing because of excess endplay. but the second bearing doesnt allow the steel ring to seal agains the direct drum. so i took off the second bearing and air checked it gain and it sounds right ( i think). without the second bearing the air leaks ever so slightly when presure is applied.

so im wondering if i should try assembling the trans with one bearing and measure the endplay and expect it to be way off?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

hey pba , vince , and jakeshoe, i got the whole thing done except the valvebody (sat im bringing it to aamco to use their parts washer) and i got the total endlay at .022''. i bought a shim pack and shimmed it with the one torrington bearing and shims.

but i cant remember where the checkballs go? i know where all 4 go. but i only had two in there when i took it apart. i know you HAVE to have one at the accumulator, but where does theo ther one go? i think its the 2 pass side ones but im not sure?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

I believe it's the bottom two closest to the tail housing.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
You can tell where they were b, oh **** sorry. I wasn't invited, plus I couldn't find it on google, or other people pics, damn am I being a whiney bitch again? Maybe mister know it all forgot what he was doing today and can chime in and tell you where they go in a th400. That sucks huh? You could pull him away from his $70/hr bench and give him a call.

thats ok if i seem like a know it all, im not really though. but i found it by googlin. vince was right the 2 rear ones.
Attached Thumbnails broke my sprag-checkballz.jpg  
Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
You can tell where they were b, oh **** sorry. I wasn't invited, plus I couldn't find it on google, or other people pics, damn am I being a whiney bitch again?
I don't even have to prove my point when you post like this.

I install all 4 checkballs on a auto shift TH350, but I do so because I learned it the hard way, and that's why my services are worth $70/hr.

I have been busy today. Finishing up a 4L80E install on a '67 Camaro with BBC, Dominator, etc.

Helping one of my employees with a '73 Camaro LY6/4L80E install we have in the shop.

I've got two 1000+HP transbrake 4L80Es to build tomorrow and next week, a auto shift TH400 for a 900HP 4x4 truck, a transbrake TH400 to do for a Tech member with a forced induction combo, several more 4L80Es for retrofits, a couple of 200-4Rs to test and a couple more to build and test.

However,
The OP could have called and gotten an answer to his question. I took several calls today for tech questions.

Those checkballs that you leave out, allow a huge feed hole instead of the drilled orifice.
So you lose control of upshift feed. You also lose control of downshift timing.

600+ RWHP/660 RWTQ 3700 lb combo with a TH350 for 2+ seasons of racing and street use on a TH350 with auto shift and 4 checkballs. BTDT.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I believe it's the bottom two closest to the tail housing.
Vince,
If you will send me a 4L80E VB core, I will send it back as a transbrake for you to try on your next transbrake 4L80E build.

Quick Reply: broke my sprag