Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Slip from Part throttle to WOT...retune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Slip from Part throttle to WOT...retune?

Hey Guys,

I am at the point now that I am finally driving my '78 TA LS1/4L60e swap car and am gaining more and more confidence to try new things with it. With that I am also uncovering various "oddities" that I do not believe are the signs of a bad trans but rather one that needs a retune.

I got a mail-order tune from Speartech to get me going and told him what the tire size would be, gear, headers, etc... I am noticing that this trans is a little lazy shifting from first to second and if you are cruising, say 30-40 mph and try to waffle the go pedal, it feels/sounds like it kicks down, but then engine takes off to the limiter and I look like a douche.

That being said I believe it may be more tune related rather than something mechanically wrong with the tranny. Stock LS1 and stock tranny/converter.

When I pin the gas from a stop it roasts the tires and sifts perfectly fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-01-2010, 07:33 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing to consider outside of the trans is what is the transmission line pressure when this happens? The reason I say this is it is possible that the trans is not getting the proper command to increase the pressure in the condition in which you can make it happen.

I know John Spear is a pretty sharp guy so I'm not going to come on here and discredit him because this could be something in the trans. But lets see what is really happening before condemning either the trans or the tune. You could have a computer issue or even a bad sensor that is reading improperly keeping the trans in a low line pressure condition.

I would probably get with someone local to you and have them look at what is going on to see if they can get this pinned down for you. Good luck. Vince
Old 05-01-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not blaming John Spear one bit!!! He turned that thing around for me very quickly but what he does is only as good as the info he was given over two years ago when I had it done. It is very possible something has changed in the set-up tat I cannot remember.

I feel like the line pressure suggestion might be along the lines of what is going on. Problem I am having is that I have talked to a few places...but I just don't know many close to me...and they don't have time for me.

Can anyone suggest someone in the NJ/Philly area that knows their stuff? I also have HPTuners and will be setting up my OBDII prom very soon.

Just a little more background on its behavior...

- Light throttle shifts to first seem slightly labored, remaining shifts are fine
- Medium throttle from a stop into first are fine, remaining are fine
- WOT from a stop is great....tire frying goodness
- Cruising from like 30-40 to a WOT mash - only did it once but the engine smacked the limiter and went nowhere fast.
- Cruising from like 30-40 into gradual acceleration...seems ok, but limiter ordeal made me timid.

Long story even longer...I think I need someone to look at the set-up and comment.

The trans is supposedly a GM replacement trans when I bought it it looked brand new so I have no idea...degreaser works wonders...haha

I am not beyond traveling some distance with the car in tow to make this happen.

Thanks guys!
Dave