Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightest converter for the street? Recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
FTI, exactly what I wanted, first try.
FTI built me exactly what I did want, first try, Greg knew exactly what to do to get what I wanted.
Originally Posted by chrs1313
fti makes some good stuff too...I have seen great results with their converters and nitrous...
x2. While I haven't put it in yet (later this month), Greg's customer service at FTI was fantastic. That, in combination with their great reputation, is what got my business. I'll update when I've installed it.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by squirts11
x2. While I haven't put it in yet (later this month), Greg's customer service at FTI was fantastic. That, in combination with their great reputation, is what got my business. I'll update when I've installed it.
x3 I got a fti 3800 going in next month hopefully! Greg's customer service is spot on!!! I went with fti because his converters seem to maintin the best drivability and efficiency. Not to mention he will build you exactly what you want... I have seen cars pick up 2mph on the back half going from a previously mentioned companies stall to a fti...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help with a brand name no, that was my reason for saying that.

But you know what, **** it. Circle D sent me exactly what I did not want even after talking on the phone.
FTI built me exactly what I did want, first try, Greg knew exactly what to do to get what I wanted.
So I've got the front of a circle D with the pump of an FTI.

There you go. Have a great weekend buddy!
Not flaming in any way, but did you give Chris the opportunity to make it right? The only reason I ask that is when I tried his 230mm 4500 stall I had the opposite result as you. Mine was entirely too tight for my likes, but he made it right very quickly and told me if I still didn't like it, he'd fix it again at no charge. I know that means pulling trannies multiple times which isn't fun, but the fact that he was willing to make it right regardless of how many tries says something about his customer service. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to make something exactly as the customer wants due to differences in setups. And obviously sometimes it gets nailed on the first attempt.

On that note, I might have to try one of these FTI's just for comparison sake. I think I'm going to try Yank's newest version of the PT4400 as well since my old one was an old design.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had experience with a bunch of different stalls...but my Circle D 3200 feels like a stock converter. Nice and tight, which is what I wanted.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CarolinaCamaro
I am thinking maybe it is the stock one as far as being the tightest .. lol. Basically looking for a very tight (not loose) converter for the street. I am wondering if someone makes a converter that behaves just like stock or better at lower rpms until it flash stalls to whatever rpm with a high str. Needs lockup.

Car will never see the track and may or may not be cammed (not in the short tem anyway and if he cams it it will be 220 duration or lower)
I am helping my friend and he is taking out the transmission to replace the flexplate so while thats out I told him might as well upgrade the converter.

stock 5.7 2001 firebird and stock 4l60e with 3.23 gears

Since you want it as tight or tighter than stock then your better off staying with the stock converter.All the converters listed above will feel looser than stock.

I personally like the Yank 3200 or 3600 but they have a "looser than stock" feel as do all of them. They are very tight for converters but not stock.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, he offered the unthinkable. Offered to send me another converter, let me keep the two until I find the right one, etc.

The problem is I said I had the trans out several times already, I said several times that I had a TCI and it was too loose. I said several times that I cannot take this thing in and out anymore. Chris said he'd make me one that would be exactly what I want, actually he gave me a choice between two, that seems like a sign of him not being sure how to select a converter.

At the time my father was in and out of the hospital. I actually put the converter in when my dad was in the ICU. And I was pissed off when this converter drove exactly like the TCI.
I had no time to screw with it, my dad was in the ICU for as long as they'd let him stay, then they put him in Hospice, and he passed away within two weeks.

This is why I don't talk about the converter situation much.

The converter was exactly what I did not want, my father was dying basically, Chris didn't tell me anything, just that he'd send another converter that I'd like better. Greg told me why the circle d was too loose, what he was going to do to make it right and made it right.

Too much **** going on at the same time.

But if one guy can't get it right the first time and another can, then I am going to recommend the guy who can, especially in the screwed up situation I was in.
Sorry to hear about your situation....and I agree that dropping the tranny multiple times sucks, but I personally have had a lot of fun trying out the different converters (ST3500, SS4000, PT4400, CD 230mm 4500, and CD 230mm 5000). Each one has things I like and dislike, and I still compare everything to the PT4400 which is still my absolute favorite because it does everything exactly the way I want it to with my setup. It just seems a little harsh against Circle D especially when Chris is so willing to make it right. Sometimes it just takes a few tries to equal perfection. If FTI can do it the first time, then hats off to them. I'm sure even they have had to re-stall a converter to make it exactly what the customer wanted.

Once again, I'm really sorry to hear about how it went down. That would suck for anyone.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am still very sorry we did not get a chance to work things out. We built you the 3C and offered to re-stall it to a 2C. The reason I was going to send you another was to avoid down time, so you could simply swap it and avoid shipping. I know a 2C would have fixed the problem. Our goal is to build a converter that is right from the start. But it is tough with some combos and loose is a relative term. Some guys hate a 2500 and some think a 4500 is still to tight. From a performance perspective, I think the 3C was a great choice. But it was just a little to loose for your setup and driving habits, I understand. I am glad FTI was able to help you out. Customer service is very important to me and I am still upset that you were not a happy Circle D customer.

Chris
Old 05-11-2010, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

So from doing some more research it seems that around 3000-3200 can be built to be just like stock in tightness. What determines how tight a converter is?

I have explained what I have learned to him and he really doesn't want a cv that he has to rev to get moving or feels "like he is driving in mud" to quote another user. I know everyone's opinion is different on what is close to stock so please post what you mean when you say it drives like stock or close to stock - in rpms, feel, take-off etc.
He does have 3.23 gears though so he may not experience looseness or the driving in mud feeling with a certain range of stall?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

With my stall, if I let off the gas, the car will move. If I lightly touch the gas, the car moves. Just like a stock stall would. It isn't like a loose converter that revs to 3k before the car will move. You don't really notice the car is stalled until you hit the go peddle and it downshifts
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Its all based on the drivers taste I would say. I just got a SS3600 (Thanks slowhawk ) and put it in yesterday. Night and day from the TCI that was in there. I can bearly tell its a stall. It moves very easy with not too many RPM. Best be is try and find someone local and take their car for a spin. Everyone's opinion is different.

Side note: very impressed with Circle D's customer service based on the story. The situation sucked but the fact that they would send you one without even getting the other back blows my mind. Wish all places fixed their errors like that..
Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the performance of my Yank SS3600 but is does not drive like stock. I had a Vig 3600 in my old car and it was even looser. There is just no way around the fact that there has to be trade off. It was worth it me to get more performance and I am going to talk Dave at Yank about a higher restall when my 383 or hopefully 402 goes in because I really want to maximise perfomance then... I will be spinning 7K so I think a PT may be the way to go....
Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I love the performance of my Yank SS3600 but is does not drive like stock. There is just no way around the fact that there has to be trade off. It was worth it me to get more performance.
This is the truth and as somebody else said in this thread, if you want it to feel like stock, stick with the stock converter.

I love my SS3600 as I did the TCI SF3000 I had before. Between the two, I've daily driven for almost 50k and both have felt really good for the most part. But there's no denying that you feel the looseness at certain times. For most of us, it's well worth the gain in performance.

Quick Reply: Tightest converter for the street? Recommendations??