Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E swap question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E swap question

So right now im tracking down parts to do an LS1/4L80E swap into my '94 Firebird. I've read all 10 pages of the 4l80E swap sticky and it all makes sense. I understand the need for the 4L80E wiring adapter to use with the stock LS1 wiring harness as well as the need to program the 4L80E OS onto the LS ECU etc. I have a lead on a LS1 long block minus the wiring harness and ECU as well as a 97+ 4L80E. Considering that I still have to purchase a wiring harness and ECU I was thinking to purchase wiring and ECU from a 99+ truck (silverado/sierra with the 4L80E and LQ4/9 etc..) and tune/change the engine parameters for the LS1 to avoid the need for a wiring adapter or OS change in the ECU. I would assume the wiring harness' would be the same (other than the trans connector) to allow me to do the swap for an easy plug and play setup but don't know for sure...

Are there any reasons this "style of swap" wouldn't work? Any possible issues? Any better solutions?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A truck harness is harder to convert to stand alone due to it running the fuse block inline. The 4L80E wiring difference is really just swapping two terminals. You dont HAVE to buy the spendy adapter. Do a search on that. I would buy a premade harness from Speartech and have the 4l80E OS put in a LS1 computer.

Quick Reply: 4L80E swap question