Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pcm not reading if its on park/drive 4l60e help!!

Old 05-06-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Pcm not reading if its on park/drive 4l60e help!!

HI GUYS I TOOK MY CAMARO 98 TO GET PROGRAMMED AND WAS TOLD THAT THE PCM DID NOT NOTICE IF YOU CHANGE IT FROM PARK TO DRIVE I WAS TOLD TO CHECK PRNDL SWITCH I HAVE A 4L60E BUT I DON'T KNOW WERE THE SWITCH IS LOCATED OR WHAT SENDS THE SIGNAL TO THE PCM HELP!! Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is on the gear selector lever under the center console.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
The switch at the shifter operates the neutral safety, reverse lights and hatch release lock out.

I think they mean the PSM, Pressure Switch Manifold. The PSM mounts to the valve body, it has switches operated by fluid pressure when the selector is moved.
I think you are right!! i was doing some checks and found out my trans fluid was low almost 2qt and probably did not have a good pressure to see a difference does it makes sense
Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

good pics!! i run my car for about 15 miles and only made short trims to the store hopefully my inside of the trans doesn't look like that!! it is shifting good!! my mistake was when i added a trans cooler and did not double check my level!1 Thanks for your help!!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What Bro Inc said is true... there is a little more to it...

The PCM has pids for both PRND321 and PN... are you saying the PCM is not indicating PRND321 or not indicating PN...?

The engine calibration has idle/air tables for PN and IG (in-gear)... for engine idle/air the PCM determines PN/IG from the PN switch... if your tuner was editing those idle/air tables, he may have noticed that the PCM was not switching between the PN and IG tables.

If PRND321 was not indicating correctly, the PCM would detect this and possibly set DTC P1810.
Attached Thumbnails Pcm not reading if its on park/drive 4l60e help!!-pn-switch.gif   Pcm not reading if its on park/drive 4l60e help!!-pn-switch-shift-lock.gif  

Last edited by joecar; 05-07-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added wire diagrams.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joecar
What Bro Inc said is true... there is a little more to it...

The PCM has pids for both PRND321 and PN... are you saying the PCM is not indicating PRND321 or not indicating PN...?

The engine calibration has idle/air tables for PN and IG (in-gear)... for engine idle/air the PCM determines PN/IG from the PN switch... if your tuner was editing those idle/air tables, he may have noticed that the PCM was not switching between the PN and IG tables.

If PRND321 was not indicating correctly, the PCM would detect this and possibly set DTC P1810.
Thanks a lot now i know how the PRND321 switch and the PN switch works and communicate with the pcm!! the tuner only said "pcm not noticing if is on park or drive and to check the PRND321 switch" and i said OK!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pcm not reading if its on park/drive 4l60e help!!