Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a shift kit? hard 1-2 shifts

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time for a shift kit? hard 1-2 shifts

Alright, I did quite a bit of searching and I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. My car has the typical problem where the 1-2 shift can become quite hard when it shifts. I bought the car only a month ago so I am not sure how long it's been going on but the previous owner said it only recently started doing it. It's never a problem at first but after driving a while or doing quite a bit of city stop and go driving it just starts to get worse. None of the other gear shifts do it the rest are fine it's just the 1-2 shift that is harsh so I am wondering if it's the shift kit that I need to help resolve this problem? More so the Trans Go HD-2? Or is it just something else with my trans? My car is all stock and still has the original 4l60e.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
Alright, I did quite a bit of searching and I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. My car has the typical problem where the 1-2 shift can become quite hard when it shifts. I bought the car only a month ago so I am not sure how long it's been going on but the previous owner said it only recently started doing it. It's never a problem at first but after driving a while or doing quite a bit of city stop and go driving it just starts to get worse. None of the other gear shifts do it the rest are fine it's just the 1-2 shift that is harsh so I am wondering if it's the shift kit that I need to help resolve this problem? More so the Trans Go HD-2? Or is it just something else with my trans? My car is all stock and still has the original 4l60e.

I would check for codes it sounds like you might have a P1870 code which usually is a tcc problem.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, it's never really bad or noticeable in the mornings or on a cold start. Just after driving for a while it slows becomes noticeable and annoying. Most the time the RPMS will climb up to 3-3.5k rpms before it finally shifts into 2nd and it does it quite rough. Other then that every other shift is fine and smooth as should be it's just the 1-2 shift. Also, once in a blue moon the car will "bang" into Reverse and/or into Drive when its parked and it makes the car jolt when it does it...is that a related problem or something else? It rarely does that though. It really makes me cringe when it does it so I cross my fingers each time I go for a drive that it does not do it.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
An 1870 code usually makes all shifts harsh.
Yes an 1870 does make the other shifts firm but the 1-2 is always the complaint thats to harsh.You still need to check for codes before going any ferther.Reverse is also a symptom because the trans goes to high line and will make engagements hard as well as shifts.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the car scanned about 3-4 weeks ago and the only codes I got were.

P0122 pedal position sensor
P0135 02 sensor
Old 06-16-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

I bet 1870 is the problem. Same symptoms as mine were when I had the code. The part is only like $20 bucks.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the "part" that needs to be replaced?

I called a local well known trans shop and he said 350 bucks to install my shift kit. This was when I was thinking that would fix the problem but if there is another solution that could hopefully be cheaper that would be great.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Its on this website. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l60e.htm

Search in key terms 1870 and it will point you right to it. You will need a filter and gasket($10) and 5 quarts give or take transmission fluid($20 max). Also the part($22). It will tell you how to do it when you get the part.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Please fix any codes before doing this. Some codes will cause other stuff to act weird. I don't have a shift kit so I know nothing about whats changed when they are put in.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will do that, first thing tomorrow morning will run out and get a new TPS and put it on. I would be very happy if that fixes the trans problem but if not, hey one less code to worry about.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i dont think a shift kit will solve your problems. when i put my shift kit in i put in all three shim washers so that my 1-2 was very solid. so that means something else must be wrong with yours.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, changed the TPS and took it for a drive, the shifting was better and not shifting late or as hard and was also down shifting smooth as it should. The 1-2 shift still somewhat felt a LITTLE firm but that could be just maybe time for a trans fluid change or something? All in all FAR better then what it was but I am going to drive it quite a bit today/tonight see if anything changes or the problems come back .

Thanks for the help guys.