Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid puking out the vent tube?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid puking out the vent tube?

1998 GMC Jimmy, v6, 4x4, 4l60e.

The trans seems to overheat after drives longer than 20min or so. Trans fluid comes out of the vent tube that ends right next to the dipstick in the engine bay. The fluid drops onto the exhaust, which smokes like hell. I'm looking at options for a rebuild, but just want to make it last another month or so if possible. Any tips, tricks?

Also, what would a reputable shop charge to remove my old trans and swap in a new built one from one of the vendors here?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:01 PM
FormerVendor

You may have a restricted tranny fluid cooler or kinked cooler line. If the TCC system is inop. for what ever reason can cause overheating too. Are you sure it's overheating? If the transmission is over-filled it can puke back out of the vent tube. Also an internal leak or pump issue could be aerating the fluid, which will foam and come out of the vent.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Teching In

I might have it over-filled, but I doubt it, because when the TC started acting up, it looked low, put a quart in and it behaved. Its done that a couple times now, I throw a quart in and it solves the problem.

It is possible that a cooler line is kinked, because a shop put a new engine in it a couple winters ago. I'll have to look into that possibility, but the trans is definitely pretty toasted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fluid puking out the vent tube?