Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400 issue

Having some issues with my TH400 swap, car was working perfectly, until i was driving it home from the car wash. Now its stuck in 3rd gear.

RMVB TH400, B&M Pro ratchet shifter.

basically once everything is hooked up, i cant get it to upshift, the shifter lever will move forward but it basically wont ratchet up into 2nd.

If i disconnect the cable from the shifter arm from the trans, i can easily move the shifter arm on the trans threw all the gears, if i ratchet the shifter the cable moves freely and i can slide the pin into the arm pretty feely in all the positions so i assume i have it lined up correctly still(i readjusted it because i had noticed the little jam nut on the small threaded end of the cable had appeared to of vibrated off). But as soon as i reconnect everything, it wont ratchet upwards. Sound like my shifter took a dump? it has maybe 100 miles of use on it.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

yea i know exactly what youre talking about with the wires, i already had the crimped end come off one of the cables. Ended up buying another cable and it was working great... until the other day. When its disconnected the inner cable moves freely when i move the shifter, it seems the shifter and or cable doesnt work when basically the load of the shifter arm on the trans is applied.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 AM
On The Tree

Well i bought a brand new b&m pro ratchet shifter and installed the new cable that came with it aswell... and well... still does the same thing!

If i manually set the trans to park from under the car, i can ratchet down all the way with no problems when the cars off. Try to ratchet upwards, nada, its kinda like a squishy feeling and i dont want to force it, as that resulted in a cable already pushing itself out of the crimped end.

With the car running if i manually put the shift arm into a gear that gear works fine. (like i can set the shifter arm on the trans to the 2nd gear position and 2nd gear will work) (same for 3rd and same for 1st, reverse, neutral,park)

One thing i did notice is that if i start in park then work my way threw the gears when i try to make the 2-3 shift it wont work. I also noticed that my transbrake no longer works either, if i activate it, it'll automatically blow a 20amp fuse, its an older model once i'm assuming since its only a 1 wire for the power, and that wire isnt shorting on anything. If i manually try to push solenoid it'll go in, but it'll stick in and wont spring back like it use to...

would an effed transbrake solenoid be causing my problems or something worse internally?