Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performabuilt or Extreme Automatics?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SMS
I had Lonnie build the 200-4r in my Buick T-type, and he came to my HOUSE on his way to Chicago to fix a sticky valve in the valve body. Hows that for customer service? He has many trans running in the 9 sec range.

If I ever need a 4l60 built he is the first I would contact. He knows his stuff when it comes to transmissions. I wonder if all the posters here who dismissed him have ever even heard of him.

That's what I've heard about Lonnie's customer service.
I also know he wouldn't put a .3xx boost valve in a "500 HP" transmission.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:04 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad95LT1Bird
Real simple, just from your experience which company offers a better transmission? (Looking @ the 4L60E for my LT1 bird)
Please take a look at what we have to offer as well. Look over our build list of parts that are installed over others and see what you are getting for your money. Make sure that you are not falling into marketing schemes and that you are actually getting your moneys worth. Feel free to give us a call to go over your options. Vince
Old 06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

performabuilt has been AMAZING to me for both customer service, warranty, and product quality...i would highly recommend them...extreme sounds like a reputable place, but sounds like they specialize a bit in t400's
Old 06-11-2010, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard the same too...I don't even know extreme but they sound like the better option...look up FLT too they do great work

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
Why would I be biased?

I am not on either company's payroll. I run my own performance transmission shop, it's not in my interest to "recommend" either company.

Let's just say I have seen some stuff that would definitely make me lean towards Extreme Automatics.
Personal experience you might want to call it, not from a customer's perspective but from a transmission builder's perspective.

I didn't "talk ****" about any company. I could easily do so but I didn't, I merely suggested who "I" would personally go to if I had to choose of the two choices.
"I" would just build my own, so the choices are not valid for me.

I am familiar with Extreme Automatics because I talk to Lonnie occasionally and buy Griner VB's for my high end TH400's. I believe he used to build for one of the sponsors here, and IIRC he isn't really in the 4L60E market anyway, so he may not even want the referral.
They do TH400's for very fast cars and 200-4Rs as their primary business the last time we spoke.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we tried performa & FLT and the FLT trans outlasted the other......

good luck!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoej

good luck!
are your ears ringing...haha

FLT is where I am going when ever I get the motivation to pull this trans
Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

good luck!

x200,000,000,000!! This man speaks the truth!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

im lovin my performabuilt in my car , my 60,s are better way more consistant on and off the bottle
Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Seems to be a bit of pull towards all sides. I will make a decision in less than one month. I am leaning towards extreme according to opinions/ experience.

I'm going to ask one more time about wether or not the performabuilt has the sonnax valves, and if the quality of the converter is equivalent to vig's or yanks.

thanx
Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

why dont ya look at his site the site then http://www.performabuilt.com/ orrrr talk to him he always answers his phone
Old 06-12-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

also frank sends ya a free cooler and other misc seals ya may need with his wich is a bonus
Old 06-13-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
Wow.
As a transmission builder and shop owner specializing in performance transmissions, I have a pretty good grasp of who is who in the industry.

The OP asked about TWO vendors, I simply answered who I would use of those two.

I know that Extreme Automatics used to sub contract for a site sponsor as their builder on the 4L60Es.
I also know that Extreme Automatics is partenered up with Griner Engineering.
With your obvious wealth of knowledge about the performance transmission industry maybe you are aware of who Steve Griner is. Originally partnered with Art Coan and the inventor of the original transbrake concept.

I know that they don't sell 4L60Es as their primary business but I'm confident they can fulfill the OP's needs. Like myself, they aren't concentrating on the 300-500 HP market, they are primarily building for the 800+ HP market. When you are doing this, a 4l60E for a 400 HP car is child's play.

If the question was wide open, I would also suggest FLT, not because they are a board sponsor but because of their reputation in the industry.

I don't attain my knowledge from reading forums, I get to see the inside of some of these other companies units on my bench, and then I can make a judgement as to who's actually doing good work or not.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
As a transmission builder and shop owner specializing in performance transmissions, I have a pretty good grasp of who is who in the industry.

The OP asked about TWO vendors, I simply answered who I would use of those two.

I know that Extreme Automatics used to sub contract for a site sponsor as their builder on the 4L60Es.
I also know that Extreme Automatics is partenered up with Griner Engineering.
With your obvious wealth of knowledge about the performance transmission industry maybe you are aware of who Steve Griner is. Originally partnered with Art Coan and the inventor of the original transbrake concept.

I know that they don't sell 4L60Es as their primary business but I'm confident they can fulfill the OP's needs. Like myself, they aren't concentrating on the 300-500 HP market, they are primarily building for the 800+ HP market. When you are doing this, a 4l60E for a 400 HP car is child's play.

If the question was wide open, I would also suggest FLT, not because they are a board sponsor but because of their reputation in the industry.

I don't attain my knowledge from reading forums, I get to see the inside of some of these other companies units on my bench, and then I can make a judgement as to who's actually doing good work or not.
very well said......
Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

so what is wrong with performabuilt then ........
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

good luck!
And still going today on the original build if I'm not mistaken?

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
x200,000,000,000!! This man speaks the truth!
Thanks Joe. Hows your car doing?

Originally Posted by chrs1313
are your ears ringing...haha

FLT is where I am going when ever I get the motivation to pull this trans
Slacker!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:17 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bad95LT1Bird
I'm going to ask one more time about wether or not the performabuilt has the sonnax valves, and if the quality of the converter is equivalent to vig's or yanks.

thanx
The only sonnax part I have seen in those units is a 4th servo. As far as the converters I would have to suggest a Yank over the above mentioned. From reading on this forum as well as others and also customers I have spoken with, the Yanks hands down have been the most efficient. If it were my car it would be the first call I would make! Vince
Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

He's not friends with jakeshoe
You are showing your ignorance again.

I don't do any business with FLT, and don't correspond with them on any regular basis. I've traded some PM's with Vince on this and other forums infrequently, so we're not "friends" yet I would still recommend them and have referred potential customers to them who have called my shop.

It has nothing to do with who I'm friends with. I'm not "friends" with Extreme automatics either. I buy some parts from them. I also buy parts from Coan, TCI, TCS, CKPerformance, Kilgore, and other vendors but that doesn't mean I recommend them for specific builds.

You've got a lot of homework to do.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

You just cannot ignore me can you?
You have to quote everything I post even though it's ignorant.

You have a tough time acting professional. Unlike every shop mentioned on this board. If I need a 4L80E built I'm not going with you simply because you act like an *******. Do your homework, thats not a good business practice.
I can respond to the snide comments as I see fit.
I run my business the way I want and have learned what works.
My customers appreciate the straightforward answers they get and no BS tactics to make a sale, it works for me and my customers. When you are in business for yourself, you might have a clue.
No worry here about selling you a 4L80E, I wouldn't want you as a customer.
It works both ways, as a business owner I can select my customers as well as the customer's can select a builder. I'm not hurting for business.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

jesus christ I so hate these threads that get posted here this is why I hardly even come to the Auto section anymore on this or my other screename I just get so tired of the mudslinging to where I dont even want to share my knowledge. I have never seen the inside of a P-built unit or a FLT unit myself bout the only ones I have seen are the inside of an RPM unit which the guys at RPM are awsome I had to repair a sprag on one of thier units one time instead of them warrantying it shipping and all I put anew sprag in it in a 9 sec vette. I have seen the inside of a monster/maddog/goodfellas unit which was disgusting IMO. All I can say is we all build then different I have built stock 60s that have been put behind 11sec motors and they have held. I believ its more in the setup than in the parts to a certain extent. FLT's reputation precedes them very good job Vince you should be proud of your product. Jake I know that you know your stuff also I can tell from your writeups, Bro I have no idea who you are also lol And IMO considering the amount of units P-built has out as opposed to the failure rate they must be doing something right also. I wish we could just let our product speak for itself instead of having to mudsling. There is only one place I would ever talk bad about and say stay away from and thats the goodfellas, madog or whatever they call themselves this week. I think this thread has not helped the original poster with all the mudslinging. basically if i was a customer from what has been said I wouldnt buy from either because he says this she says that how do i know as a customer who the real deal is except from product testimonial and not mudslinging. By mudslinging I mean who uses what parts and who doesnt that all I have to say, rant over.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

I bought a Performabuilt tranny because it had a two year warranty if you bought a TC from them too. I had a small issue with a servo, but Frank sent out a new one and I have not had any issues since. Very happy with my decision to go with a Performabuilt tranny.

Quick Reply: Performabuilt or Extreme Automatics?