Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions For PerformaBuilt

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions For PerformaBuilt

I have some questions for PerformaBuilt due to my search for a 4L65E transmission (your Level 3). I am posting them here in case any other members are interested in the answers.

1) In your "About Us" section on your website, I did not see any "important" information like how long you have been in business, do you use ASE certified techs, about how many transmissions you have sold, and how many transmissions you have had to repair under warranty. Stuff like that.

2) I have a custom tune for my car which I think firms up my shifts. Will I need to get the computer reprogrammed? I sent an email to you on Thursday, but did not get a response.

3) You are in PA and I live in PA, but it will take me 7-10 days to get a transmission. Why so long?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

failure rate is a fair question as far as a percentage when buying something.... but with the abuse some people put things through wouldnt be a good way to gauge how well a company builds a transmission. A transmission could be broken from too much heat too much power for the rated capacity or just down right abuse....

like said above search for them... if there is a problem it will be posted everywhere... i havnt personally seen anything bad about performabuilt(not that i have looked for it). but... if they were doing something wrong it would be plastered all over tech guaranteed.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
In your 1) do you have all that info on the company that built your 9"?

Google Performabuilt, there are a lot of their customers out there on several forums. I don't think I've ever seen a bad word about them.

I don't know of any company that lists how many of whatever they sell that they fixed under warranty.

Bottom line is their name is out there, look for it, find it, you will see a lot of satisfied customers, and few to none with problems.
No, I didn't have all that info for Moser, but I knew enough about them to take a chance with them.

I know nothing about PerformaBuilt, so I did a search for them on here. I found some "bad" comments (along with some good ones) which is why I wanted more info. I will Google them. Maybe the "fixed under warranty" question may have been too much, but I think info like how long they have been in business and the qualifications of their techs would be good to have on their website.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

That is a odd set of question IMO however I will answer some. I personally have been building performance transmissions since i was 16 years old I am now 46 years old. I also worked years in GM and ford dealerships along with running my own transmission shop for many years. The other people in performabuilt have a similar history,
As for percentage of warranty its about 7 percent over 2 years which is not bad imo considering what these are built for.
as for time in business we have been around a long while on ls1tech alone i think since 2006 but the shop itself predates that considerably.I am not sure how far back your looking to find out?

As for why 7-10 days
thats easy there are many many posiible setups for the 60e alone then add in three levels and theres your answer it would be impractical to keep them all ready to go on the shelf to much space. So they are built to order for the most part and that our present time frame to build and ship at this time.

As for the tune you should turn presure setting back to stock as i think you will find all the builders here would prefer.

Hope this helps .
Frank at PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks Frank! So, you are saying that line pressure is the only transmission setting that should not be programmed for the computer? Will the setting damage the transmission if I don't get it changed back to stock soon after the transmission is installed?

The last thing that I want to ask about is the shift kit. Do you put them in all of your transmissions? How hard would the shift be at WOT? I once had my transmission prorgrammed to shift hard and it was too hard for me.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:38 PM
9 Second Club

I have had two PerformaBuilt trannys a LV2 for my brothers car and a T400 for my TA. As far as tunning goes you need to put the tranny settings back to stock. I would not mess with line pressure at all. Correct me if im wrong Frank but your trannys have a built in shift kit the more you press on the gas the harder it shifts.
We have had great success out of my PBuilt tranny the 4l60e is going over 4 years strong and has been through 200 10lb bottles of nitrous and 2 engines with no freshing.
If you put a different stall in your car you need to have a tuner tune the car with the new stall keep that in mind.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The shifts will be progressive getting firmer with more throttle

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Teching In

I tried the sponsors page, but couldn't find what I was looking for. All I found was just comments from what I read.

Frank, the last thing that I would like to straighten out is the custom computer programming that I have for my current 4L65E. Would I have to worry about getting anything else changed besides line pressure? I saw one tranny place uses a different first gear for their 4L65E. Do you use stock gear ratios? I saw that you remove partial lockup. I don't know if that matter for the programming or not.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well many prefer to set the lockup for 4th only above 45 mph other than that i dont have any other suggestions there.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Maybe I didn't ask my question correctly, but I was asking if there is any difference between your 4L65E and a stock one. Like the line pressure thing, I would not have known to get that taken out of my programming and I would have been scrambling to get my computer programmed if your transmission was installed.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes we use the dyno to optimize the line presure to work right with the stock presure settings much like all of our competitors as far as i can tell. So the line presure is allready up accross the board so addional upping is not needed and would only serve to beat on the trans hard parts unnessesarily at part throttle normal driving.

Call 888-744-6542