Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultrabell Works!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 10:24 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is a problem on all cars that use this bellhousing with the gen III block. When you take the trans out you will see four witness marks where the bolts were. The block will appear flush along the sides, but it will be pushed a little out at the top. You won't notice it too much when torquing the converter down either since the gap is small, maybe no larger then .05". You never notice this because usually when you fit this in the car you never remove the flexplate and you never really look that close at it. I just happened to put mine in without the flexplate and I noticed it right away.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:21 AM
D(irecto)r Pepper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man i have never used one of these protective pieces... you guys are scaring the bejeezus out of me!
Old 02-01-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what about us die hard 4L60 guys. I plan on eventually putting a good amount of power into a 4L60 in the future. The 4L60 is already blessed with a removable bellhousing, so are there any aftermarket, SFI approved containment housings available? Running a blanket or scattershield is next to impossible in the F-bodies since the tunnel clearance is so tight. That is unless you modify the firewall, then that brings a host of other NHRA nightmares (rollcage, T-tops, certifications, etc).
Old 02-02-2004, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DOC OTIS
This is probally **** but by grinding on the bellhousing would that tamper with SFI certification? Not that a tech would ever see it just curious?
Maybe you could change the 4 offending bolts to a different style with a lower head?
Old 02-02-2004, 05:24 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Al, they are already as small as you get with a 8mm without switching to a button head. Often times those bolts seize up in the covers too, so you want to have something that has a head on it. The bolts are not that big, it's just that the ultrabell's front face is 1.5" wide compared to the stock 3/4".

Quick Reply: Ultrabell Works!