Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 is building lots of pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH400 is building lots of pressure.

I have a 468 with a TH400 in a 94 z28.

We aren't sure exactly how much the converter stalls yet, but you gotta have a heavy foot just to get the car to roll. (we haven't installed a tach yet)

The transmission is building pressure.

When I drive the car around the block (3-4 minutes), the dipstick gets shot out and transmission fluid gets puked up. It shoots the dipstick completely out. (it's a flexible dipstick, because there is NO room..the motor sits WAY back)

When the car sits in idle for a couple minutes, we take the dipstick out and can hear a puff of air that lasts for a few seconds.

We are lost as to what to try now. Here is what we have tried so far.

-Blow air through the vent tube and the dipstick. The air doesn't come out of the other.
-We stuck wire up the vent tube, and it doesn't feel like anything is clogging it..
-We thought it may have had too much transmission fluid, but we haven't added any since its been puking, and it is still building pressure.

Any help or ideas that you guys can provide me with is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Is this a fresh trans? Whats been done to it? It either sounds like the breather is clogged or the pump.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Teching In

It's not a fresh tranny, my uncle had it in a 10 second Omega for some time. The tranny is supposedly bullet-proof. It's been sitting in storage for some years now, but nothing had been changed or done to it since it was taken out of his car. It still worked perfect up to the day it was removed. My uncle says it would shift so hard that you could bite your lip off.

Ya, it is probably gonna end up being the pump. We're trying to eliminate all other possibilities before we have to take off the tranny, because the motor has to come out with the transmission. And we are in a 2 car garage with no lift..

Thanks for the post, man. I will post back results later.

Quick Reply: TH400 is building lots of pressure.