Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Transmission Pans

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Transmission Pans

im about to put in a stall and i was curious if a deep pan was something i should consider. ive been reading and from what i can tell, alot of people seem to have scraping problems with the deeper pans. do the benefits outweigh the cost and the extra anxiety? and does anybody have a brand recommendation?

i was curious about one pan in particular, the derale 14204, which has a built in cooler and claims drops between 20-50 degrees. has anybody used this pan? i tried searching and found only one person that has used it. he said he had good luck with it, but i'd like a little more affirmation than that.

lastly, a dumb question, but is there any difference between the lt1 and the ls1 transmission pans? i noticed most of these websites didnt specify an engine, so im assuming they're the same but i wanted to be sure before i bought anything.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

I think I might like that pan,but I already have a PATC deep pan on mine. They are low but in 1000 miles since I put mine on,only 1 slight encounter with a speed bump, its been ok. I think I would still put a tranny cooler on and I like a cooler w/fan if car sees alot of track time. My PATC pan holds 4 extra qt.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Transmission Pans-hpim1406.jpg   Aftermarket Transmission Pans-p5230010.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

No difference in the pans by engine, but they are different by year and vehicle.
Later pans are stepped /deeper/colorado and several other applications use a slightly different pan/filter, but they are all interchangeable.
Derail pans are ok. They do cool the fluid slightly, but Ive never known anyone to do a a/b test.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

car already has a b&m tranny cooler. was just looking for some added protection against heat. i think i'll go ahead and try that derale and see how it goes. the car has never seen track time since ive owned it, but i plan on going after i have some stuff done to it. i plan on going like once a month, so i dont think a fan would be necessary, right?

so youre saying that i could use one of those deeper truck pans on the lt1 4l60? not that i plan on it, but alot of people were recommending them since they're cheaper, hold a couple extra quarts, and were steel, so they could take a few speedbumps
Old 08-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend getting a deeper transmission pan with fins or tubes in the bottom of the pan to help aid in keeping the transmission fluid cooler.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

just bought the tci 378000. finned aluminum, adds 2 quarts. went with this one over the derale since its aluminum, so it transfers heat better than steel to begin with, plus its finned. the derale design looks nice, and in theory the tube idea sounds good, but i would think that the majority of the air would opt to go around the pan rather than through the tubes. think im gonna stick with the old, proven technology
Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

truck pans are deeper and you can get one dirt cheap

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Transmission Pans