Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to know for tc install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default What to know for tc install?

Alright,Honestly I wanna install this thing myself but I think ill be paying a shop. Before you guys say it I already know your gonna say to do it myself. So either way...what are some important things to know about the install? Is there anything that I would need to tell the shop I need done? I ask because idk if theres something they wont do that they should and obviously I dont want anyone ******* my car up. Im sure you guys know what im talking about.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't break the pump and get it tuned for the converter.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

would I be able to drive it away without a tune? The install wont be at the tuners shop
Old 08-18-2010, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure you may drive it to be tuned,drive it easy for 150 mile or so to break it in ,fill the stall with fluid BEFORE install,install the converter into the trans -turn the converter untill you hear THREE clicks ,if in dough pull it off and install/insert into pump again to be sure
check the links below. will see if I can find a picture of the homemade tool I used to hold the flywheel
good luck Johnny

http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...allations.html
Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

Try this home made tool to hold the flywheel
Johnny

may make a tool to hold flywheel
hope the drawing of tool is understandable
use a 1/8 x 2 flat bar about 12 in long insert into flywheel threw the round hole in botton of bellhouseing ,the notch in side will hold tool in place

PS:::
for some reason my drawing will not post right >>the base of the tool should be as wide as the top part with the teeth

/\/\/\/\
| |
| |
| <
| |
| |
| |
Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey don't worry, I just did my install and finished last night. I had some help, but it was my first time taking out the trans and installing a TC. Be sure to fill up the TC and listen for the 3 clicks when mounting. Also, follow the steps when taking your measurements. It took a couple of afternoons, but it went very well. Oh one more thing, be sure to hold up the TC and make sure the holes line up to the flex plate.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

^^its fun isnt it? lol

i just got done installing mine, well almost done! it was my first time, gotta say people make it out to be way worse then it actually is

heres my tips....

- First and absolutly most critical if you ask me, buy a 13mm swivel socket (7/16th LT1 cars) swivel socket!!!! also make sure you have atleast a 24" extension plus a few smaller ones. a normal swivel with a socket will work, but the more compact swivel socket makes life easy, plus they are stronger!

-Mark the transmission cooler lines comming out of the transmission, alot happens between taking them out and putting them back in. i actually had to wait till the trans was apart from the engine befor i could access them. i didnt mark them and did some guess work, need to verify they are correct still befor starting the car.

- leave the transmission under the car if you cannot get the car high enough to get it out, this will make installing the new torque converter onto the transmission a little harder, but you will save alot of stress in the long run. If the car is high enough then deffinetly get the trans into a larger working area to ensure you get the torque converter seated properly. I couldnt really hear any "clicks" when doing mine, just be sure thats its seated about an inch to 1.25 inches behind the bellhousing lip.

- Have a buddy use a ratchet to hold the crank still while you loosen the torque converter bolts.

- Check the flexplate where the torque converter bolts to it! Not only are you making sure that they line up, but some aftermarket converters take different size bolts and the flexplate may require the holes be drilled out larger, alot easier to do when the transmission is away from the engine!

For my first time doing it, ive taken my time and taken ALOT of breaks, like days. but id say total i have about 10 hours into it. 2 of which were trying to get the transmission back under the car and on a jack! which is why i say leave it under there if you can, or else youll have a hell of a time getting it back under the car while its on a jack if its not high enough off the ground.

Honestly, if you have some common sense and have done spark plugs on these cars, i think you can handle doing a torque converter in a weekend or possibly even a day. Id never pay a shop to do this again, or any transmisison work.

I used the write up in the automatic transmission sticky section, its slightly different but same concept.

i say go for it dude, its more time consuming then hard! jsut take your time and do it right!

Last edited by trilkb; 08-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trilkb
^^its fun isnt it? lol

i just got done installing mine, well almost done! it was my first time, gotta say people make it out to be way worse then it actually is

heres my tips....

- First and absolutly most critical if you ask me, buy a 7/16th swivel socket!!!! also make sure you have atleast a 24" extension plus a few smaller ones. a normal swivel with a socket will work, but the more compact swivel socket makes life easy, plus they are stronger!

-Mark the transmission cooler lines comming out of the transmission, alot happens between taking them out and putting them back in. i actually had to wait till the trans was apart from the engine befor i could access them. i didnt mark them and did some guess work, need to verify they are correct still befor starting the car.

- leave the transmission under the car if you cannot get the car high enough to get it out, this will make installing the new torque converter onto the transmission a little harder, but you will save alot of stress in the long run. If the car is high enough then deffinetly get the trans into a larger working area to ensure you get the torque converter seated properly. I couldnt really hear any "clicks" when doing mine, just be sure thats its seated about an inch to 1.25 inches behind the bellhousing lip.

- Have a buddy use a ratchet to hold the crank still while you loosen the torque converter bolts.

- Check the flexplate where the torque converter bolts to it! Not only are you making sure that they line up, but some aftermarket converters take different size bolts and the flexplate may require the holes be drilled out larger, alot easier to do when the transmission is away from the engine!

For my first time doing it, ive taken my time and taken ALOT of breaks, like days. but id say total i have about 10 hours into it. 2 of which were trying to get the transmission back under the car and on a jack! which is why i say leave it under there if you can, or else youll have a hell of a time getting it back under the car while its on a jack if its not high enough off the ground.

Honestly, if you have some common sense and have done spark plugs on these cars, i think you can handle doing a torque converter in a weekend or possibly even a day. Id never pay a shop to do this again, or any transmisison work.

I used the write up in the automatic transmission sticky section, its slightly different but same concept.

i say go for it dude, its more time consuming then hard! jsut take your time and do it right!

Fun...ya about that. My back still hurts . I agree, marking the trans cooler lines will really help. I used a zip tie to identify mine.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
- First and absolutly most critical if you ask me, buy a 7/16th swivel socket!!!! !
Theres no 7/16" or 11mm bolts or nuts in the whole job.

A swivel socket is good for the bellhousing bolts, they are 13mm.

A wobble extension is good to have for the torque converter bolts, you can use extensions to make it up to the front of the engine and put a ratchet on the end, then you can put a socket and ratchet on the balancer bolt and pull the two together to get the bolts out. To tighten them let the socket rest on the starter pad.

Also don't attempt to remove the dipstick tube from the engine. Drop the trans and let it slide out. When you put the trans back up guide it in place.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 12-22-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Also don't attempt to remove the dipstick tube from the engine. Drop the trans and let it slide out. When you put the trans back up guide it in place
I wish I knew this before hand...it was a PITA to get out. However, not so bad going back in.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

ah **** my bad guys, i thought i was in LT1/LT4 land
Old 08-18-2010, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

This has more responses than I thought it would get. Seriously,thanks for all the help guys!