Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock-up Clutch Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lock-up Clutch Questions

So I have a couple questions regarding a lock-up clutch in a stall. Any and all advice greatly appreciated!!!

Question 1:
So I have a Yank converter I bought off of an old buddy of mine and he told me it was good all except for the lock up clutch. I was wondering if it would do any harm if I just installed in with fixing the lock up clutch. I know it wouldn't lock but other than that what would be the downsides to it??

Question 2: How much does it usually cost to get a lock-up clutch fixed or should I just save up for awhile and buy a new converter??
Old 08-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trav's_TransAm
So I have a couple questions regarding a lock-up clutch in a stall. Any and all advice greatly appreciated!!!

Question 1:
So I have a Yank converter I bought off of an old buddy of mine and he told me it was good all except for the lock up clutch. I was wondering if it would do any harm if I just installed in with fixing the lock up clutch. I know it wouldn't lock but other than that what would be the downsides to it??

Question 2: How much does it usually cost to get a lock-up clutch fixed or should I just save up for awhile and buy a new converter??
Just get it rebuilt....its cheaper than a new converter, and they will probably put a new clutch in it anyway. If you tried to run it as-is, the burnt up clutch material will go all throughout your transmission.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, dont install it until the clutch gets fixed. Your just looking for trouble if you install it as is. Call up Yank and have them refresh it for ya. should only be 2-300 bucks
Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Refresh.
Install as is, & you are signing up for trouble.
No doubt.