Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

second gear th350 ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default second gear th350 ???

I don't want to mention the trans builder on line here because I am not into mud slinging, but I would like to have opinions on what I was told.

I bought an extreme comp TH350 with TB and RMVB. I told them I was around 800RWHP and close to the same in TQ. They built it and gave me a warranty. I made a few runs in it and am very happy for the most part. A month ago I made a run at Pinks Topeka and the trans felt funny. When I got to the pits I had forward movement in all positions and no reverse. Out the very first run. o-well. The trans had a total of about 10 runs on it.

I sent it in for warranty repair and got it back no problems. When I called the company up to talk to the builder about the failure they were more then willing to talk to me... However, I did not like what they told me. I was told that the 2nd gear was not built to hold that much torque and that I should shift from 1st to 3rd. WTF. I should have purchased a PG if that was the case. What do you guys think?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

with 800 hp and tq the intermediate sprag is at its stress limits for the stock rolller clutch. there are aftermarket drums and conversion kits to run the cam type sprag on the intermadiate sprag. I would think they would have built it that way to begin with, with that kinda power going through a 350. I would ask why not a th400 for your application in stock form with a few internal modifications will handle that power.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
with 800 hp and tq the intermediate sprag is at its stress limits for the stock rolller clutch. there are aftermarket drums and conversion kits to run the cam type sprag on the intermadiate sprag. I would think they would have built it that way to begin with, with that kinda power going through a 350. I would ask why not a th400 for your application in stock form with a few internal modifications will handle that power.
It has the cam type sprag in it, that is why the comment was confusing. As for the TH400 thing... I don't want to get started on that. I wanted a glide, but everybody (my friends) said I would not like it. Heck, the thing has more than enough torque to use one.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me ask this question. Did you have a failure with the intermediate clutch(2nd gear) or the forward clutch? Just curious because I have built th350 units taking that kind of power. No doubt that a glide or 400 would be a better choice. Vince
Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the glide will depend on the weight of the car yes you have enough torque but what is the weight. also for a powerglide you will have a few bucks tied up into it to make it work right as where a th400 less than a gran will get you squared away and maybe a little over a grand for a good RMVB and brake.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Let me ask this question. Did you have a failure with the intermediate clutch(2nd gear) or the forward clutch? Just curious because I have built th350 units taking that kind of power. No doubt that a glide or 400 would be a better choice. Vince
If I remember right they told me second gear. I drove the car around the pits and it felt fine in all the gears. The tb would even engage and hold. But when I put it in "P" and "R" and "N" the car would pull forward. I have to engage the TB for "R", but that did not make a difference... it still went forward. So I am puzzled... If the TB engages 1st and "R" why would it hold?

P.S. car is at 3150lb.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my suggestions is to find a different builder and go with a th400
Old 08-21-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
my suggestions is to find a different builder and go with a th400
yep...

Quick Reply: second gear th350 ???