Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Performabuilt Level 2 - Shudder in 3rd... any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kiztope
That makes sense... Thanks for the rundown!

Performabuilt,
Any other thoughts on this one?

Well it still could as in 1 and second you are under throttle and making more line additionally the presure area for second gear is huge compared to the 3-4 set. But again there may be some issue with the trans anythings possible. If you would like we can take a look at it and see.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well it still could as in 1 and second you are under throttle and making more line additionally the presure area for second gear is huge compared to the 3-4 set. But again there may be some issue with the trans anythings possible. If you would like we can take a look at it and see.
So, what do you want to do to troubleshoot this? I just want it to perform consistantly and correctly...
Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank will take care of you I would just call him instead of posting on here. I have ran their trans for 5 years now with two cars and Frank is a great guy to work with.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Contact me dorectly so i can get a better description of what happening and therefore a better understanding to decide next move would be best

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4 days and 24 posts later someone finally said it.

Call me!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

Well I know whats its like to have trans problems...not to bash a vendor or anyone for that matter I had a performabuilt lvl 2 with their tc and blew both with less than 1k miles on them...got my second trans and tc under warranty(performabuilt was great with the warranty)then blew the 2nd performbuilt tc but now I have the performabuilt lvl 2 with circle d 2600 converter and it works like. Champ
Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Well, Performabuilt has a pretty good rep on these boards and the positive perception was a large part of why I chose to go with them. (That, and they actually shipped to the house! haha)

In any event, to those that have suggested that I call... my job doesn't allow me the freedom to call to discuss the car during business hours (I work in a call center, my manager is an uber-micro-manager, and my clients can be very impatient since I work on VoIP phone systems), so hopefully Frank can work with me via the boards, or e-mail (I have sent the same to him).

Just in case anyone is tracking this for their own research sake, I'll keep the thread updated with any progress!

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Actually I take calls 7 days a week from 9 am till 10 pm eastern time. So I still think a vocal description would make it easier to make a decision on what the next course of action should be.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Just an update to all - After the phone call, we decided to swap the trans and TC. I am finishing up the install of trans#2 tomorrow (all thats left is to install the starter, and fill the sucker with ATF)
As a side note to those who are thinking of undertaking swapping a trans for the first time - It took me 13 hours or so the first time (over the course of a few days) to pull the old one and install the new trans and trans cooler. Some of the extra time was because I didn't pull the Ypipe until well into the trans removal... Lessons learned - This time, it took me about 3 hours to pull the trans back out, 30/45 mins to unbox the new trans and swap the tailshaft/bellhousing/etc, and I'm about 2.5 hours into the new trans install. So, it's not too bad the first time around, but it's much much quicker the second time!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Update: (And YES I've told Frank the same thing)
1. At times the new tranny shifts very hard (jarringly so) into 2nd under very light throttle, but is smooth under heavy throttle and smooth into 3rd, 4th. Other times it's just a firm jerk into 2nd. I'm normally a very casual driver (I just enjoy being in the Z, don't need to race everywhere), but I'm starting to develop the habit of accelerating faster through to 2nd to avoid the jerkiness.
2. At approximatly 200 miles into the run-in of the transmission, the engine started to intermittantly rev to 2500 rpm under medium throttle in between the 2nd and 3rd gear (much like the first transmission, although the first one revved to 4k). It doesn't do it every time, so I have no idea what's wrong. I've got no SES light and no codes...

I can't afford to be without my daily driver again, or loan performabuilt another $2000 for a "deposit" for another two months, so I can't send this one back.

I am coming from a stock tranny, so, honestly, is this normal behavior for a performance trans? Have any of you experienced the same thing?
I'm open to any suggestions/comments!

Last edited by kiztope; 11-21-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

2-3 flare, it'll burn the 3-4 clutch pretty quick like that.

Whats the answer? Thats a tough one, it's under warranty so your hands are pretty much tied. You can't do anything other than send it back.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

2-3 flare, it'll burn the 3-4 clutch pretty quick like that.

Whats the answer? Thats a tough one, it's under warranty so your hands are pretty much tied. You can't do anything other than send it back.
Is there anything that could be wrong with the car, ECM, sensors, etc that could cause this? There are no codes and the SES light isn't lit. This is already the second tranny.... and although the issue wasn't there immediatly upon reinstallation of the second one, I am surprised that two transmissions are screwed up with similiar issues.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevez2885
Well I know whats its like to have trans problems...not to bash a vendor or anyone for that matter I had a performabuilt lvl 2 with their tc and blew both with less than 1k miles on them...got my second trans and tc under warranty(performabuilt was great with the warranty)then blew the 2nd performbuilt tc but now I have the performabuilt lvl 2 with circle d 2600 converter and it works like. Champ
Steve,
Were there any precursors to the failure? I'm not concerned with the rep (positive or negative) of anyone, I just want to know if I'm in for trouble here and how I can avoid it!

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kiztope
so, honestly, is this normal behavior for a performance trans? Have any of you experienced the same thing?
I'm open to any suggestions/comments!
This is one of the most common problems with amature built 4L60E's.
Theres a lot going on during the 2-3 shift and many clearances, calibrations can cause problems like this.
Google 4L60E 2-3 flare, lots of results.

Are you sure the tune is 100% stock? The rear has never been changed? Stock tire size?
This transmission is 100% different than the last two, not just the same one gone through?

I've seen a write up from Sonnax where the pcm can cause a problem like this, a few rare cases where the pcm wasn't cutting the voltage off to the solenoid fast enough on the 2-3 shift.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The unit is a completey different unit hence the deposit on the swap we sent him one and he sent the other back.
What interest me is the eratic changes in shift quality and a repeat of nearly the same pattern as the previous unit. Which while I suppose anything is possible with alotta bad luck it would seem a highly unlikly scenario IMO. But to me it seems like theres some sort of issue with presure going on.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Not sticking up for performabuilt but questioning if there might be a issue with installation like binding the converter against the pump or if there is a issue with the tune.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We will know more monday as I am going to have them tear down the returned unit and see waht we find there, I do not however think its and installation issue as for as pump etc is concerned.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-21-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
We will know more monday as I am going to have them tear down the returned unit and see waht we find there, I do not however think its and installation issue as for as pump etc is concerned.
Any word on what your techs found when they tore it down?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Launching!

i'm keeping an eye on this as i'm about to go out of pocket for a new trans, i hope you get to the bottem of this, there is to much good feedback from them to give you a poor product i would think
Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Funny same problem with a another sponser transmission on a customer car eneded up the main wire connector was not seated. Car would drive fine part throttle, then more throttle it would flare then shift. I seated the connector and the problem went away. I took it off to clean good and put it back on its still good after 4 months.

Quick Reply: New Performabuilt Level 2 - Shudder in 3rd... any thoughts?