Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Performabuilt Level 2 - Shudder in 3rd... any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Funny same problem with a another sponser transmission on a customer car eneded up the main wire connector was not seated. Car would drive fine part throttle, then more throttle it would flare then shift. I seated the connector and the problem went away. I took it off to clean good and put it back on its still good after 4 months.
Thanks for the idea... All the wires and connections were double checked... Nothing loose there... The odd part is that the new trans flares sometimes and not others.... it's not consistent.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by performabuilt
We will know more monday as I am going to have them tear down the returned unit and see waht we find there, I do not however think its and installation issue as for as pump etc is concerned.
It's been a few months now... Any updates on what the problem was?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I would like to know myself, as I am in the market for a better trans.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd check for pinched wires where the bell housing mates up to the block, I have a friend that made that mistake
Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i were you,i would try the transgo mod 46 that will eliminate any line pressure issues you have.because you are taking out the epc and installing a vacuum modulator for the pressure.pretty fool proof.thats what im running.i tee'd it off from the brake booster hose.all those sensors giving the ecu data to control the force motor can be eliminated.just a suggestion.im very curious also as to the outcome of your tranny.im starting to shy away from performabuilt because this isnt the first time i've heard of this happeneing with their product.sure they will warranty,but who want to drop/install a tranny twice?i wouldn't be too concerned if this issue was from a local builder or amatuer,but from performabuilt?they're supposed to be top notch.thats what concerns me.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

To the top for any new updates.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2004 Red GT-OH
ha! go figure, it doesnt work. Had a buddy buy one and it never worked right. Thank god for other companies who know what there doing. He was out the $2,000 but hes happy now that he has a working trans.

good luck swapping them out 30 times because they will never be able to get it to work right.

Whats up with all the performabuilt hating on this site? Is it just the hordes of FLT nut huggers? When i was searching for my new 4l60e i was considering FLT until i noticed all the trash talking nut huggers the company has on this site what a shame....And i am positive they build good trannies too bad the nut huggers give them a bad name and turn potential clients away.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by damn
Whats up with all the performabuilt hating on this site? Is it just the hordes of FLT nut huggers? When i was searching for my new 4l60e i was considering FLT until i noticed all the trash talking nut huggers the company has on this site what a shame....And i am positive they build good trannies too bad the nut huggers give them a bad name and turn potential clients away.
We are waiting to see what has transpired after a perfectly legitiment post regarding a transmission problem. That this issue involves Performabuilt and not FLT, RPM, etc. is a fact, and not a random comment made to discredit any particular transmission builder.
Is this beyond your capability to understand?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dannyz
We are waiting to see what has transpired after a perfectly legitiment post regarding a transmission problem. That this issue involves Performabuilt and not FLT, RPM, etc. is a fact, and not a random comment made to discredit any particular transmission builder.
Is this beyond your capability to understand?
You need to learn to comprehend my post this is not just this thread its this whole section. Seems to be a group of nut swingers who go into every performabuilt thread on this site to trash talk. Its already old and it makes FLT look bad.

Comments like "my friends friend went through 3 of the other guys trannies before taking it to a real builder like FLT".

"Ive seen what that other claimed tranny builder puts in his trannies and its junk".

Its like there is a bunch of ***** hurt homo's walking around its almost to the point where even if a guy was not happy with a performabuilt tranny he wouldnt have bitched this much. Looks like someone is paying people to bitch and complain and cast performabuilt in a bad light in every damn thread. Certain people need to get a ******* life.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by damn
You need to learn to comprehend my post this is not just this thread its this whole section. Seems to be a group of nut swingers who go into every performabuilt thread on this site to trash talk. Its already old and it makes FLT look bad.

Comments like "my friends friend went through 3 of the other guys trannies before taking it to a real builder like FLT".

"Ive seen what that other claimed tranny builder puts in his trannies and its junk".

Its like there is a bunch of ***** hurt homo's walking around its almost to the point where even if a guy was not happy with a performabuilt tranny he wouldnt have bitched this much. Looks like someone is paying people to bitch and complain and cast performabuilt in a bad light in every damn thread. Certain people need to get a ******* life.
So you have nothing new to add, other then your personal opinion?
Again, this is a post about a tranny problem, and isn't aligned with any alleged conspiracy against Performabuilt.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Guys, this is supposed to be an informative/problem solving post - not a "feed the troll" thread. If the trolls get fed, the thread gets locked, then sinks into nowhere.

Silverz28camaro, Thanks for the heads up. I definitly didn't get anything caught - I triple checked that as it was going in.

Dannyz, thanks for trying to keep this on point...

As a general note:
I'm nearing the time to swap tranny fluid, so I'm planning on re-checking/cleaning all the connectors, and taking a general look around when I hit the suggested 2500 miles. Anyone know of anything in particular I should look for or do when I drop the pan??
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you flush/flow test or replace the cooler on replacement of the trans?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 05HD
Did you flush/flow test or replace the cooler on replacement of the trans?
The cooler was supplied by performabuilt and was flushed along with the lines to the trans before the first transmission installation, then flushed again before the second transmission installation.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The first transmission appears to have had a 3-4 clutch failure which sounds similar to the intermitant issue your having now except its with a completely different transmission. There are several sensor/tuning issues and install that could lead to flaring intermitant or not issues that could lead to 3-4 clutch failure. To name a few. TPS. MAF(particulary if you are experincing early shifts at any time) , LOW FLUID (Note with the 4l60e there is no such thing as a little low) This latter is a strong possibility with an intermitant flare under throttle so reguardless of what the stick says I would add about 1/2 quart and see what happens. But with and intermitant flar and previous 3-4 issues with same car and two different transmissions I would have to think it would be one of these things.
Frank at PerformaBuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

The first transmission appears to have had a 3-4 clutch failure which sounds similar to the intermitant issue your having now except its with a completely different transmission. There are several sensor/tuning issues and install that could lead to flaring intermitant or not issues that could lead to 3-4 clutch failure. To name a few. TPS. MAF(particulary if you are experincing early shifts at any time) , LOW FLUID (Note with the 4l60e there is no such thing as a little low) This latter is a strong possibility with an intermitant flare under throttle so reguardless of what the stick says I would add about 1/2 quart and see what happens. But with and intermitant flar and previous 3-4 issues with same car and two different transmissions I would have to think it would be one of these things.
Frank at PerformaBuilt

Thanks for the info...
As far as the fluid is concerned, I made sure to follow the directions provided with the tranny, for fear of something going wrong, so unless the directions are off, it shouldn't be a fluid level issue... I'll be happy to add an extra 1/2 quart, if you think it should help. I remember you suggesting the same thing on the first tranny and it didn't change the behavior, but I'll add a 1/2 quart to this one and see how things go tommorrow.
The car has a stock tune, so there haven't been any changes there.
The MAF has been cleaned, and was re-cleaned after the first PB tranny failure. As far as other sensors... Shouldn't I see an SES light if any were screwed up?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Actually no not always since the PCM can only see when they are way outta range or not working at all. There are conditions where you can have a sensor out of range but no so far as to set a code.
You said stock tune what stall speed converter do you have ?
But in any case it sounds like you may have some presure control issue with I beleave someone else has allready mentioned in this thread.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Actually no not always since the PCM can only see when they are way outta range or not working at all. There are conditions where you can have a sensor out of range but no so far as to set a code.
You said stock tune what stall speed converter do you have ?
But in any case it sounds like you may have some presure control issue with I beleave someone else has allready mentioned in this thread.
Frank
So, can anyone chime in on how I might go about troubleshooting the various sensors? I'd rather not go on a replacement spree...

Which converter? - The "as close as possible to stock" converter, from PB.

Regarding the pressure - You're suggesting that I purchase and install the mod-46 transgo kit? I've read that that kit can damage the tranny, since you're bypassing the "e" part of the 4l60-e... Shouldn't the pressure be controlled by the various solenoids that are brand new in the tranny?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by kiztope
Regarding the pressure - You're suggesting that I purchase and install the mod-46 transgo kit? I've read that that kit can damage the tranny, since you're bypassing the "e" part of the 4l60-e... Shouldn't the pressure be controlled by the various solenoids that are brand new in the tranny?
First off if you were to install this kit you best make sure to get permission from Frank on this so you do not void your warranty. The 46-mod kit works just fine in situations like this and I have used hundreds of these in the past. If in fact there is an issue with one of your sensors this mod will eliminate the possibility of it. Just a quick question here. How does your speedometer work? Does it stay steady when this issue occurs?

In my honest opinion I would get a pressure gauge on the trans to see what the pressure is actually doing before anything is done here. If using a mechanical pressure gauge and monitoring force motor current with a scan tool with transmission data, if the current stays the same however the gauge is wigging out, the issue is in the trans and not the sensors of the vehicle.

Not sure where you are located but a tune might help here with your issues if in fact they are not with the trans. Its possible that your computer is pulling some line pressure from the trans when its goes to shift so this is something to consider as well. I know Frank is good friends with Wheatley tuning so this might be an option for a tune for you if you do not have someone local to you.

The thing that concerns me is that you seem to have a flare in between the shifts. If the pressures are fine and steady then the issue is internal. Its either been damaged, a timing issue with the band coming off to soon in relation to the 3-4 clutch being applied or I would look to make sure that the trans is not already hurt at this point by doing a visual inspection of the trans pan. I hope this info helps you guys get this sorted out. Vince
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vince B
First off if you were to install this kit you best make sure to get permission from Frank on this so you do not void your warranty. The 46-mod kit works just fine in situations like this and I have used hundreds of these in the past. If in fact there is an issue with one of your sensors this mod will eliminate the possibility of it. Just a quick question here. How does your speedometer work? Does it stay steady when this issue occurs?

In my honest opinion I would get a pressure gauge on the trans to see what the pressure is actually doing before anything is done here. If using a mechanical pressure gauge and monitoring force motor current with a scan tool with transmission data, if the current stays the same however the gauge is wigging out, the issue is in the trans and not the sensors of the vehicle.

Not sure where you are located but a tune might help here with your issues if in fact they are not with the trans. Its possible that your computer is pulling some line pressure from the trans when its goes to shift so this is something to consider as well. I know Frank is good friends with Wheatley tuning so this might be an option for a tune for you if you do not have someone local to you.

The thing that concerns me is that you seem to have a flare in between the shifts. If the pressures are fine and steady then the issue is internal. Its either been damaged, a timing issue with the band coming off to soon in relation to the 3-4 clutch being applied or I would look to make sure that the trans is not already hurt at this point by doing a visual inspection of the trans pan. I hope this info helps you guys get this sorted out. Vince
Thanks for the tips!
Honestly, regarding the 46-mod, I'd rather fix the issues and keep it as close to stock as possible anyways... so I'm definitly waiting on Franks info on that front...
I'll have to see if I can get a pressure guage to check out the pressures... I don't have one at this point.

The speedo is functioning as normal - No fluctuation there during the intermittant 3-4 flare.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The 46-mod Actually was made for vehicles with chronic presure issues which could be the case here, Its used when there are issues with the car that cannot be solved reasonably in the control of the line presure. THE solenoid itself does not control presure but rather reacts to what the PCM yell it to do presure wise. As mentioned by vince it could be pulling the presure down intermitantly for some reason causing the random flare on the 2-3 .
I am ok with you doing the 46-mod if it will solve your problem its the that fact that it flares sometimes that also makes me think it some sort of control issue as generally a trans issue would tend to be a constant issue , That and the fact you allready had a 3-4 failure with a completely different trans. Though its possible for two trans to have similar issues it would be very rare back to back

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: New Performabuilt Level 2 - Shudder in 3rd... any thoughts?