Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb 4l60e question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Newb 4l60e question

Very newb question I know but I only research and work on the vette in my sig when I work on my friends car or else I would know alot more. K, question is, is a 4l60e any different than the 4l60e in a 98 vette? Obviously a vette wont have a tailshaft housing or regular bellhousing but are they the same besides for that? The 3-4 gears have been slipping for a LONG time and finally let loose the other night, only 1 and 2 work.....Does a rebuild kit for ANY 4l60e work or is there certain ones go in the vette 4l60e's? Whats the differences in the vette's versions if so? Any good links to taking out and rebuilding the trans would be sweet too and what a good performance kit would be or for something with no more than 500hp, currently maybe 400hp.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know for sure if they are the same, if I had to guess I would say yes but could be wrong. My advice though is to let a reputable builder build a new transmission for the car with all the right components. Transmissions are not really something to be playing around with if you don't know what you are doing unless you just have tons and tons of money laying around. All of the sponsors here can build badass tranny's so I recommend letting the professonials do it.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Launching!

I'm no professional but I have rebuilt a few transmissions for it, have rebuilt and machined tons of engines and done alot more. I have no doubt I cant do it just was wonderin because I see 4l60e's with corvette servos and that made it seem like they are different trannies in a vette. and the owner of the car barely even has enough to get a rebuild kit nevermind thousands to have a pro do it. I've already rebuilt his engine from the ground up, might as well redo the trans too ha
Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah, ok, just checking. I see a lot of people that think they can just tear into a transmission and rebuilt it without knowing what they are doing so I always try to steer them in the right direction before they waste a bunch of money and the tranny still doesn't work. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Basically the same. Different case/bell/output shaft, internal Assembly is the same. Valve body & separator plate has different factory cal's.