Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the difference between a 2003 and 2004 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whats the difference between a 2003 and 2004 4l80e

I have been searching wrecking yards and have found a few 2004 4l80es but the wrecking
yards say the 2003 and 2004 show not to be compatible with each other. whats the difference? im looking for one for my mustang ls1 conversion. I have to buy drive shaft and converter anyway.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that is the year they went from the old two-connector style neutral safety switch (NSS) to the newer single-connector style. The old two-connector style had one connector for the PCM control and another connector for the backup lamps and starter lockout. You can either splice the correct ends onto your wiring harness, or you can change over to an old style NSS, which you can find new for a decent price on eBay.

I had a newer harness and older NSS, so I cut off my large single-connector and spliced on two smaller connectors... which means I have the single-connector you will need for the newer transmission. If you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you this weekend.

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
I have been searching wrecking yards and have found a few 2004 4l80es but the wrecking
yards say the 2003 and 2004 show not to be compatible with each other. whats the difference? im looking for one for my mustang ls1 conversion. I have to buy drive shaft and converter anyway.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

IM going with a custom built wire harness for the conversion. The harness comes setup to run a 4l60e. So IM going to have to swap some pins or something from what I have read any way. Does any one sell an adapter that will go from the 4l60e plug to the one I need for the 2004 4l80e?

Originally Posted by FastKat
I think that is the year they went from the old two-connector style neutral safety switch (NSS) to the newer single-connector style. The old two-connector style had one connector for the PCM control and another connector for the backup lamps and starter lockout. You can either splice the correct ends onto your wiring harness, or you can change over to an old style NSS, which you can find new for a decent price on eBay.

I had a newer harness and older NSS, so I cut off my large single-connector and spliced on two smaller connectors... which means I have the single-connector you will need for the newer transmission. If you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you this weekend.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Two things:

1) I think in in 2004, they started the new "single-plug" on the 4L60E as well.

2) If you're getting a custom wiring harness made, just tell them to put the plugs in for the 4L80E. There are places (like Speartech, a sponsor here) that will sell you the wiring that changes a 4L60E harness to a 4L80E harness. I think they will reprogram your computer as well. This whole ordeal is not cheap, I think north of $200. Just have the person building your harness wire it for the 4L80E. You will also need to have the PCM reflashed to work with a 4L80E, if it isn't setup for it already.

IM going with a custom built wire harness for the conversion. The harness comes setup to run a 4l60e. So IM going to have to swap some pins or something from what I have read any way. Does any one sell an adapter that will go from the 4l60e plug to the one I need for the 2004 4l80e?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

If you're putting this in a car you don't need the trans mounted neutral safety switch. Take it off, get a short manual shaft.

For a car the neutral safety, reverse lights, hatch lockout switch is on the shifter in the car.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
If you're putting this in a car you don't need the trans mounted neutral safety switch. Take it off, get a short manual shaft.

For a car the neutral safety, reverse lights, hatch lockout switch is on the shifter in the car.
this will be going into a fox body coupe mustang
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Gingervitis Addict

this will be going into a fox body coupe mustang
Then you will likely be using an aftermarket shifter, and the neutral safety switch will be on the shifter.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i have asked this question a few times, with no really informed answer-i know they list a diff valve body for a 2004-it may be something with the forced motor, or its plug-something else i also found was a diff tail shaft bushing was listed, but wasnt avail-the one i had in a kit was loose in the 2004 tail shaft
i have a spare 2004 that needs a valve body (i tried to convert it to man shift, but didnt work great, so i bought another 2004 and robbed the v/b)

Quick Reply: whats the difference between a 2003 and 2004 4l80e