Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No 2-3 shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I cried every time an internet mechanic was wrong, I'd never get any work done. You don't like irony? There are indeed some mistakes here... they are yours.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the valve body apart, and it was indeed equipped with a transgo kit as the seller originally listed. As soon as I find a good tranny shop down here I'll have them inspect it to find out if it really was built with hd parts.... then depending on what they find, I'll either have them fix or rebuild it with performance parts
Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 PM
FormerVendor

Reply to our last email if you have any questions along the way or need any advice.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
Reply to our last email if you have any questions along the way or need any advice.

Thanks.
Thanks for your help Steve. I'll be sending you my pcm once again as soon as I get a cam installed.

Thanks to everyone else to put some input. I'll update this thread as I have a new status...
Old 11-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
There are indeed some mistakes here... they are yours.
Because no one will post your work to look at.
It's a mustang with an LS1 swap, for all I know the guy doesn't have a check engine light, hasn't scanned for codes, can't see a failed solenoid electrical code. I suggested ohming the solenoids while the pan was off, a good idea because the pan needs to come off and thats where you find signs of clutch failure.

As for the misfire tables, how many times have you seen someone on here post that they lost 4th gear and it ends up they actually lost lock up.

Sometimes I don't ask direct questions, it sometimes gets better information from people.

Look at where the OP says the fluid is fine, next post it's a dark chocolate color.

So what do you suggest to get information out of people when they don't answer questions accurately?

I know your tuning deal there is fool proof, you told me before, someones tune is fucked up it's because they didn't tell you exactly what you needed to know so you tuned it using the information given which was wrong on the customers part. Your operation is fool proof on this side of the computer screen.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
It's a mustang with an LS1 swap, for all I know the guy doesn't have a check engine light, hasn't scanned for codes, can't see a failed solenoid electrical code. I suggested ohming the solenoids while the pan was off, a good idea because the pan needs to come off and thats where you find signs of clutch failure.

As for the misfire tables, how many times have you seen someone on here post that they lost 4th gear and it ends up they actually lost lock up.

Sometimes I don't ask direct questions, it sometimes gets better information from people.

Look at where the OP says the fluid is fine, next post it's a dark chocolate color.

So what do you suggest to get information out of people when they don't answer questions accurately?

I know your tuning deal there is fool proof, you told me before, someones tune is fucked up it's because they didn't tell you exactly what you needed to know so you tuned it using the information given which was wrong on the customers part. Your operation is fool proof on this side of the computer screen.
Sorry but Frost is right....misfires alone won't make the transmission stick in a gear, but will keep it from locking up. 3-4 Clutches are almost ALWAYS the first thing to go in a 60.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slow67
Sorry but Frost is right....misfires alone won't make the transmission stick in a gear, but will keep it from locking up. 3-4 Clutches are almost ALWAYS the first thing to go in a 60.
I know that. I've seen several people post thinking they lost 4th but it ended up they only lost lock up. Read the entire thread, the OP is everywhere, has no 2-3, no it does have 3rd, fluid is good, trans is fresh 10k build had the pan off, now all of a sudden the pan is off and it's full of burned fluid, etc, etc, etc.

Originally Posted by Inbred
fluid is fine.
trans has never been into 4th. Before the tune, it automatically went into failsafe cause of the 4k converter. So only 2nd and 3rd.

pan was taken off to install bung for temp sensor
And I get **** for trying to decipher this abortion?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

You guys confused yourselfs....

Let's try again.

Was pan ever off?
Yes. When it arrived, trans was somewhat empty. I removed pan to install bung.

Did I ever have 3rd & 4th gears?
Just 2nd & 3rd since it was in limp mode.

What happened after tune?
I suddenly had no 3rd gear whatsoever.

Did I check fluid level after said issue?
Yes. It was topped off. Don't remember seeing odd colored fluid.

What happened after I disconnected power to trans?
I was manually able to shift between 2nd & 3rd.

So, then WTF happened?
I dropped pan, and fluid was chocolate brown.

End of story.
Not too hard to read if you follow the sequence of events.

Last edited by Inbred; 11-02-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

On a side note, thanks for the help Jay. I really appreciate it. And sorry If I made everything a bit complicated if I didn't explain well lol
Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

On a side note, thanks for the help Jay. I really appreciate it. And sorry If I made everything a bit complicated if I didn't explain well lol
No problem. Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

What really confuses me is that although everything points to the 3-4 clutches, why am I able to engage 3rd when cutting power to trans? I obviously don't quite understand the mechanics of an auto.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28

My work isn't made for being posted for public inspection; it's made for the customer. I will be happy to screen shot any part of this calibration that is in question, as with them all. Ohming the noids is fine... You said once the perf codes were set to no error that that's all you have, but you still have the electrical code if there is a circuit problem (or open/bad noid). I pointed out the same with the misfire tables. I don't normally take the time to scrutinize but through all of your smack, sarcasm, and attempt to 'catch me', you were wrong, and your assertions as well. Leave me alone and Ill do the same.

YOU started out talking smack for God-knows-why about me; how do you honestly think I should react? How would you?

At any rate, sorry for mucking up the thread; I'm out of it.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

What really confuses me is that although everything points to the 3-4 clutches, why am I able to engage 3rd when cutting power to trans? I obviously don't quite understand the mechanics of an auto.
When you cut power to the trans you have max line pressure which was obviously enough force to hold the clutches. Under normal operation there may not have been enough pressure to hold them since they were jacked.

My guess...
Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Update:

I finally had my trans guy to disassemble the trans and get it ready for a rebuild. And guess what we found? Internals are completely stock. Go figure. Every single clutch was original and showed signs of high mileage, minimum of 50k miles on them. And remember how i said it was listed as having been upgraded to 4l65e specs? Nope, not even close. The planetaries were 4-pinion and not 5 like a 4l65e.

The only thing that had been changed out was the stock servo for a corvette unit, and the addition of a transgo shift kit.

I'll post pics as soon as I upload them...
Old 11-12-2010, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Quick Reply: No 2-3 shift