Sponsored by:

4L60E 3rd gear problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:20 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 4L60E 3rd gear problems

Hey guys, long time lurker and reader but only posted once. I have an 03 Silverado (all stock 4x4 with 95k) that had something internal let loose, it still ran fine with all gears but was grinding in all gears and had engine braking in first and fourth while in "D". Didn't have time to mess with it and got a Reman unit instead.

Here is the problem, the first trans lasted about 3k miles and the 3-4 clutch's smoked. Fluid was fine and there were NO DTC's. Line pressure was within specs, although at the low end. First, second, and reverse operated normally. It seemed like a seal let loose for the 3-4 clutch pack, I figured maybe this would be an isolated incident.

I received another unit under warranty, and after the trans-adapts were reset I had a loose 1-2, but 2-3 were fine. After about 2k of driving, everything is well except when making the 2-3 under WOT (at about 72 MPH). At this point it slips about 1000 RPM's and finally engages. Don't want another reman since they will make me take it to a dealer and eat the balance of what their "Warranty" covers, about $40.00/hour.

Any idea's before I smoke another 3-4 clutch pack? Everything seems fine and with no DTC's...but then again I never had any DTC's with the last slipping trans.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

2-3 shift problems are almost always mechanical.
The way it was set up during the rebuild. 3-4 clutch material and disc count, clearance, 2nd servo travel, seperator plate hole sizes.
This is assuming it was all put together with no internal hydraulic leaks.