Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

built 4l60e problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default built 4l60e problem

I am having trouble with my built trans in my 05 GTO. It will not go into any gear. I have it up on jack stands and the wheels will not even attempt to move.

so far i have eliminated the following possible causes:

Pump, pulled a trans cooler line and the fluid is coming out great.
shift linkage--visual all working good.
cooler clog---i air checked all the lines and the cooler
broken hard parts---i pulled the trans and completely disassembled to check the hard parts, everything is in great shape.

i can not think of anything else to check. what are some things in the valve body that could cause this problem...stuck valves?

thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 04:43 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not knowing the history of the build its hard to say. With no movement I would think that you have a major internal leak. Another possibility is that you have the wrong converter. I have seen this on the dyno and the trans makes pressure but it does not move. I believe this was an issue with the input shaft IIRC. Vince
Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

do you think its even worth me removing the valve body and cleaning it? i am almost certain that it is not the wrong converter but i cannot see any clog in the Vb causing loss of everything.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Is this a new build?
What was used in the build?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no reverse? by chance you didnt forgtr to hook up the manual valve linkage did you on the 60s this will casue a N state. if you have reverse I could say thay the input sprag was put in backwards but you would have forward motion in manual range as the overun clutches would come on. did you put the pump out screen and o ring in the pump? this would cause a major internal leak but would still flow fluid through the cooler. other than this I would have to agree with Vince that there is a problem in the converter. Check Line pressure is the first thing to do.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:09 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to agree if the sprag was in backwards the trans will still move when manually shifted but will bind when the trans shifts to OD and smoke the band. Good point on the manual valve and also the filter in the pump. I have seen this missed as well.

I do not see sticky valves being an issue with a no movement condition. You might have rolled over a gasket or flipped them causing a leak. Also make sure that the pump has all of it's components installed and also that the boost valve has not popped out of its bore. Basically if I was you I would just go over the entire build to see what you might have missed. I'm sure it will stick out when you find it. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 11-14-2010 at 08:50 PM.