Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is my 3600 rev max in the pic
Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z99ls1
What doesn't make since to me is that the one in the pic he posted is way smaller than stock, but revmax site shows them being a 300mm converter
Is the LS2 GTO is the same size as a LS1 F-body converter?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
It was $419 to my door. I'll know next month at a track rental event how much I picked up.
Damn.. Thats pretty freaking cheap.. Def post up what you ran..
Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 1998silverbird
Is the LS2 GTO is the same size as a LS1 F-body converter?
I am not sure
Old 01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

its the same thing..
Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by a4ls2goat
its the same thing..
So was ur converter a 245mm?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

300mm
Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Restricted User

Stock converer is like 12.4" and the revmax is 11.7". The revmax in ur pic sure looks more than an inch smaller than ur stock one
Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

rev max is 9.5.. stock is 12in i believe
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoping more people will post up results of using this convertor, especially on more long term use- It sounds good so far to have an option that is half price compared to the others..
Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Restricted User

rev max is 9.5.. stock is 12in i believe
lol what??? You said it was a 300mm and than that it was a 9.5". 300mm=11.8 inches
Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just going off what my receipt says...
Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Well, for those who are uneducated. The torque converter in the picture IS a cavalier converter core. It was transfered to work behind an LS1. This is the same thing that TCI and Edge do. I have owned an Edge so I can say I have experience with these types of converters. Its kinda hard to argue a performance part when its only built to 4 cyl specifications to begin with. But, don't believe me......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...education.html
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Well, for those who are uneducated. The torque converter in the picture IS a cavalier converter core. It was transfered to work behind an LS1. This is the same thing that TCI and Edge do. I have owned an Edge so I can say I have experience with these types of converters. Its kinda hard to argue a performance part when its only built to 4 cyl specifications to begin with. But, don't believe me......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...education.html
The billet cover converters that Yank, PI, Circle-D, myself and others sell are STILL. Based on a GM 4 cylinder core.
The pumps, stators, etc are core pieces from those units.

Billet covers have their place but they are NOT a requirement on your typical 300-500 HP street or street/strip car.

There are HUNDREDS of racers winning without using a billet cover and have been for years. Stock Eliminator and Super Stock racers don't use billet covers typically. ATIs Treemaster series converters have been very successful in those classes, as well as A-1. No billet covers there.

PTC has many winning combos in the small tires classes and they don't necessarily use a billet cover.

Billet covers add weight and on a serious combo this is a consideration.

Most enthusiasts are not going to doing WOT lockups so they don't need huge clutch capacity, the clutch material and overall quality of the converter build has much more to do with success on a typical street/strip car than it having a billet cover, etc.

I can see marketing has been very successful here...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn....well said
Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

good answer
Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
The billet cover converters that Yank, PI, Circle-D, myself and others sell are STILL. Based on a GM 4 cylinder core.
The pumps, stators, etc are core pieces from those units.

Yes I realize this, the rears for these converters dont magically appear out of thin air. Nobody here is arguing the rear side of these converters, the only argument comes from the front side and the clutch lock-up area.

Billet covers have their place but they are NOT a requirement on your typical 300-500 HP street or street/strip car.
Are they a requirement? No, but then what mod is? So you are saying that replacing a 12 inch converter with a 9.5 with a 4 cyl engineered lock-up clutch is a good thing? ANYBODY with common sense will know better

There are HUNDREDS of racers winning without using a billet cover and have been for years. Stock Eliminator and Super Stock racers don't use billet covers typically. ATIs Treemaster series converters have been very successful in those classes, as well as A-1. No billet covers there.

Thats right, now tell the truth, these are NOT-lockup units and/or NOT street driven vehicles. Left that part out too didn't you?

PTC has many winning combos in the small tires classes and they don't necessarily use a billet cover.
Again, we are talking about race inspired vehicles, this has absolutely no relevance here.

Billet covers add weight and on a serious combo this is a consideration.
Which is why a race car will run a non-lock-up converter or clutch apply surface will be irrelevant in a primarily race driven vehicle. On a street car, your telling me that going from a 50+ pound stock converter to a 35 pound billet front converter is something to take into consideration? Are you saying that is a disadvantage. What are you even saying?

Most enthusiasts are not going to doing WOT lockups so they don't need huge clutch capacity, the clutch material and overall quality of the converter build has much more to do with success on a typical street/strip car than it having a billet cover, etc.

You don't lock-up the standard billet front Yank, Circle D, etc. And those are what we are talking about. Again you are inflicting more information that is irrelevant in an attempt to win the uninformed over. You want to talk about quality? How about a converter thats not completely unengineered to begin with that can spit pieces of Cavalier converter clutch through my stock or built transmission. Considering the average guy cannot fix them himself, I'd say this would be a pretty costly mistake.

I can see marketing has been very successful here...
My thoughts in bold.

And I can see you won't be near as good of a sponsor as I had hoped for. I thought it would be nice to have a sponsor that stretched into some other areas of trans rebuilding and could lend expertise to those that might need it on this board. Instead you come on here and bash good hardworking companies who deliver an honest product that DOES have a place here. You sir are really the one thats not needed around here. Our converter sponsors have always done very well by the members here, and for you to come in and try to take something away from them is ridiculous. You do have a few cheerleaders already, so congrats for that.

damn....well said
Originally Posted by mike.d
good answer
Grow up.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tune changes when you are trying sell something eh?

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I've got plenty of customers who would disagree, they like the OD.

A 4L80E converter costs the same as an equivalent 4L60E converter.

We have large clutch billet converters for $800.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 30K miles on a similar converter....no complaints here. Cruising down the highway only uses about 50-75hp.....whats the point of a HUGE clutch?

Its even locked up on my a few times at WOT (probably about a dozen) due to tables not being in the tuning software (at the time).....No ill effects felt to this day.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My tune hasn't changed at all.
I mentiond in my previous post that we sell billet converters. I have nothing to hide.
I also stated that billet converters do have their place.
Our primary business is in the arena of 800+ HP street/strip combos, so of course we offer a billet converter to match that level of build.
You might have notice I said the typical 300-500 hp car doesn't require a billet converter.

I also never took anything away from the other sponsors. They have proven through the test of time to build a quality product. I occassionally work with Chris at Circle-D and have customers running just about every brand of converter out there.

I am not primarily in the business of selling converters, I have a very minimal mark-up on the ones I do sell and these are offered for the customer to have the ability to do one stop purchasing.

We have non-billet cover lockup converters in 700 HP combos that have been alive for 3+ yrs now without issue. There is more to the lockup than whether the cover is billet or not. The lockup material, bonding process, surfaces etc.
I deal with converter builders on a daily basis, I see them built and see the components almost weekly, and I have customers who put them to the test every day and every weekend.

I'm also not comparing a stock 50lb converter to a 245mm, I'm talking 245 billet vs. Non-billet.

I would suggest getting your experience from hundreds of customers and combos and not the internet.

Quick Reply: Who has a Revmaxx Converter please post your experience