Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6spd auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense, but you might want to check out:

http://www.ls1.com.au/ Their Commies are putting out sick power and laying down great times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXlHGFkrjKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hee30qNFobE
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

None taken. I know all about the fast A6 cars. We have plenty of A6 cars in the 9s as well, but I assure you NO ONE has profected the tuning 100%. A few are doing well but they still have marks on their records.

The black 2010 camaro now has a TH400 in it because they were sick and tired of pulling the transmission out every time it went to the drag strip.

Thesubfloor's corvette is working well. Century has spent a lot of time using his setup for R&D. He has roughly 80 1/4 mile passes on it now.

I just can't point customers towards an unproven combination with a clear conscience.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Default How does TCI do it?

I would like a technical explanation of how TCI does the 6X conversion to the 4L80E... I have rebuilt quite a few 400's and 350's but never a 4L80E, which I know is more complicated, so this is just to feed my intellectual curiosity.
On the 6L80E, I believe PCS has said that they are developing control parameters for its TC.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Other than the novelty of the 6 speed auto, is there any other reason you are considering the swap? The 6L80e is a nightmare at the moment. No one has perfected the tuning on the A6. If someone were to develop a true 100% stand alone operating system for the 6L80e then it might be a viable alternative to the 4L60e and 4L80e But unfortunately right now it isn't.
Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
The 6L80e is 100% computer controlled. So the engine and transmission tuning are dependet on eachother. The ways people have been tuning engines for years is now causing issues with the 6L80e transmissions because it effects the pressures in the transmission. I am by no means a tuner, but we have rebuilt quite a few 6L80e transmissions that have been roasted by tuners experimenting with their transmission tuning trying to get rid of the flairs between shifts and whatnot. Take a look over at corvette forum and you will see all the headaches that have come along with the 6L80e transmissions.

Sorry for Necro'ing the thread, but what's the point of starting a new when it should all be kept together in the first place....

Anyways.... I have a 4G bird and I was thinking of dropping the A4 to M6 swap and doing the A6 w/ a paddle shift. I have a 450 stroker with a nasty PatG cam and 4.10s in the rear.

My question is this... From what Jeremy said above, does this still hold true now? Has anyone perfected a tune for the A6? Also what if I just use the main ECU from an A6 equipped vehicle? Isn't the problem that people run into where when they try to run their LS1 ECU with the A6 trans ECU (or whatever it's called)?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

BTW - I found a A6 out of a C6 Vette with 24K; the seller is asking $500 and says it works great. Will this work in a 4G Fbody?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Several people have perfected the tune of the A6, including yours truly. The issue is that those who know how to tune A4's (the majority), don't understand how to tune the A6 (like the minority). So rather than saying that, the A6 is given a bad rap. When you don't know you bash. Poke around in the history of the trans section and you'll see more detailed arguments. A further tuning issue is that the gearing and programmable torque converter engagement tend to frustrate the average engine tuner.

A C6 A6 is not recommend for those on a budget. It has a uniquely longer output shaft (due to the Vette direct drive into the axle), no hell housing, the smaller torque converter, and no tailshaft extension cover....i.e. all the things that will nickel and dime your project to the point of just buying the right 6L80/90.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

curious, i am looking at a 2011 chevy truck, 5.3 4wd, that has the 6l80e-are they pretty trouble free
Old 10-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Launching!

They are as trouble free as any other mass produced GM drivetrain component. Now will they perform the way you expect and want? Probably not as they are calibrated from the factory for maximum EPA fuel economy, all weather condition driveablity, and to prevent drivetrain abuse...that goes for the engine too. So if you're expecting hot rod performance, you MUST get a tune for both.

Quick Reply: 6spd auto