Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo TA TH400 w/PTC - possible cause of stutter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo TA TH400 w/PTC - possible cause of stutter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seP18cpxHNc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQvEpFTmUU

As the car sits in this vid, its putting 650WHP down.

Here's a little video I took before I put the car into storage... it's hard to hear, its just a crappy cell phone vid. As you can see though, right around the time the speedo hit 100 the RPM actually drops a little (200RPM or so). If you listen careful you can hear it kind of fall on its face. The track vid you can definitely hear it fall over once it hits third.

The trans was refreshed at the beginning of last season, the torque converter installed after I heard the original TC dying around June. Towards the end of the season this weird issue popped up. The motor sounds almost like its getting spark blow out, but that was eliminated by several sets of spark plugs being rotated through the engine... nothing showed any issues. Basically, past 5000RPM the motor kind of falls over in 2nd and 3rd gear but then comes back after about 2 seconds as if nothing at all was wrong around 5400RPM.

The PCM was replaced, the entire harness tested, all coils, wires, and plugs were replaced while attempting to diagnose this issue.

One suggestion I was given last year was something along the lines of cavitation in the torque converter? Has anyone heard of something like this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The videos are useless.
So what brand of torque converter is in it?

I've run TCI off the shelf converters without problems.
Maybe if you had a spaceship converter. I doubt it's transmission or converter related.

Whats your AFR do when this happens? I'm guessing you have no tuning equipment?

You should put it on a chassis dyno and see whats doing what. Or at least make a few runs with scanning equipment connected. (like hp tuners or something)
Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Sry the vids aren't helping you...

It's a Performance Torque Converter (PTC). It was nearly $1k to my door, built to my car's spec and then some, and was supposed to hold my power. However, I hear a noise that sounds a lot like a beat up converter (sounds like an exhaust rattle inside the trans almost).

I have all the tuning equipment, and its been on a dyno several times to diagnose the issue. AFR was 11.0-11.2, which is rich granted, but shouldn't cause this type of issue.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

sorry just throwing it out there but thats halarious testing done on closed roads in mexico and your location says chicago lmfao why are people putting that on everything
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

No other ideas?