Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I build my 4L60E or swap to T56?
build 4L60E
50.00%
swap to T56
50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

4L60E swap...need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4L60E swap...need suggestions

well i'm looking to either build my transmission or swap over to a T56. only reason i'm considering this is because in the long run it seems like it would be easier to fix if a clutch goes out rather than rebuild an auto transmission. plus i wouldn't have to worry about swapping out converters due to a cam swap and what not.

now my question is what all goes into this and what parts are needed?
i have used the search and found a few threads about this but most begin in 2004, which im sure most is still the same but the vendors that are listed dont have sites anymore.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

My SS has a T-56 swap. You still have to worry about common problems with the transmission internals. Sometimes my car pops out of third if I don't shove it in harder than the other gears, and it only has 51,000 miles. Search third gear problems in the manual trans section. It seems to be one of the most common problems.

As far as what parts are needed, just stock stuff from a manual trans car. If you want to upgrade from stock just get upgraded parts as if you had a factory M6 car.

And don't forget doing an A4 to M6 swap, you're going to have to do the rear gears too.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 01-24-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

yeah i've heard about that problem alot so it's really not that big of deal. i just think a swap might be beneficial in the long run because, correct me if i'm wrong, a manual transmission is easier and cheaper to fix than an auto.

why would the gears need to be an essential part of the swap? i will be changing them out soon after the swap but i am just wondering why
Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02_Z28_G
why would the gears need to be an essential part of the swap?
I put 3.73's in my car a few weeks before the M6 swap.
With 3.73's I don't know how people drive six speeds with the stock 3.42's. I can't imagine how much 3.23's would suck, or 2.73's. Sure they will 'work' but...

I don't find automatics more difficult or expensive to rebuild.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

From a drag racing POV an auto works best. Besides if you are constantly dumping at a higher rpm your clutch will wear out much more quickly than the clutches in the auto. YES a manual is much more fun but the effects of a stalled auto greatly out weigh the manual shifting.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02_Z28_G
yeah i've heard about that problem alot so it's really not that big of deal. i just think a swap might be beneficial in the long run because, correct me if i'm wrong, a manual transmission is easier and cheaper to fix than an auto.

why would the gears need to be an essential part of the swap? i will be changing them out soon after the swap but i am just wondering why
T56 parts are quite expensive. If you buy one of our 4L60e transmissions if something happens 5-6 years down the road we only charge $600 to refresh it. The T56 can be quite a bit more.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

T56 parts are expensive, f-body hydaulics suck ***, clutches are expensive and wear - whereas torque converters do not, getting into a stock t56 set-up will prolly cost you 2k, then you will be much more likely to tear up your rear end and you will likely run slower times at the track. That 2k investment could be used to buy a built auto.

Sounds like a great idea The grass is not always greener on the other side.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The grass is not always greener on the other side.
The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but it's different grass.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
T56 parts are quite expensive. If you buy one of our 4L60e transmissions if something happens 5-6 years down the road we only charge $600 to refresh it. The T56 can be quite a bit more.

that actually is a nice thing to know. now just to find out if most other places do the same. only downfall is i live in houston so the whole downtime in between transmissions would be a downfall, in the even that i did have something go wrong or what not. Now i'm not all THAT into going to the raceway and running the 1/4. i'll go maybe a couple times a year or so but not a top priority, maybe somewhere down the line when i get a second vehicle but as for now this is just a DD/street car...

thank you for all of the input though because this is definitely helping me in making a decision.

o...and 3.73 will be going in shortly after i do whatever with the transmission
Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't going to make over 700rwhp I wouldn't worry about the 4L60e. Our transmissions are more than capable of handling what you are talking about doing with the car. To my knowledge we are the only shop that offers a refresh at this price. The only time you would be without a transmission is when you would send it in for a refresh and we honestly rarely see any of our transmissions a second time. When you order one of our transmissions we build your new one out of one of our select cores to your specs then we ship it to you, you install your new transmission. Then you stick your old one back on the shipping unit and we send for a pickup and WE pay the core shipping back to us. You only pay shipping one way. If you have any more questions please feel free to shoot me a PM or call me at the shop. I am always happy to answer questions.