Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered a Yank SS3600 how hard is a garage install

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered a Yank SS3600 how hard is a garage install

I just ordered my SS3600 convertor and going to save a few bucks and do it myself. I am a heavy truck mechanic so not to concerened about the procedure just going to suck doing it on my damn back but I have til spring so no rush. For those of you that have done it on the ground (no lift) how bad is it really and what is the whole measure for 3/4 to 1 inch before installing? thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

it's not that bad at all...only parts that suck are the upper bellhousing bolts and lifting the damn thing back onto the block to reinstall
Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by brian r
I just ordered my SS3600 convertor and going to save a few bucks and do it myself. I am a heavy truck mechanic so not to concerened about the procedure just going to suck doing it on my damn back but I have til spring so no rush. For those of you that have done it on the ground (no lift) how bad is it really and what is the whole measure for 3/4 to 1 inch before installing? thanks

This is what im faced with. Do I go out and spend the money on a few good jacks and stands (I need better than I have now) or just pay someone 350 to do it.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm about to do the same thing here in a week. In the garage, on the floor, no lift. If I were you and had the room to keep the jacks/stands after I was done with them, I would get them and do it myself. Costs less than $350, and you will be able to use the tools again. JMO
Old 03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My dad runs a full service repair shop with nothing but good heavy duty Snap On jackstands (the large ones) and a floor jack.

It's easily do able...but the jackstands you will need to get enough room are expensive (the tiny $20-30 pairs from parts stores won't cut it IMO). So it depends if you want to spend the money on something you will eventually need again or labor and knowing it was done by a professional. You will also need an assortment of long extensions and a good jack to help lift the transmission in and out.

No wrong choice, but doing it without the proper tools isn't advised.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

I just put a built tranny and stall in mine in my driveway, and it wasn't too bad. I think I spent like $100 on tools that I will use again. Just make sure the convertor is seated all the way so you don't crack the pump, and put a quart of fluid in the convertor before you install it. Then go out and have some fun!