Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fairly new built up transmission popped...what could it be??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fairly new built up transmission popped...what could it be??

On the way too work yesterday morning accelerating very lightly, I heard a clunk noise and the car kinda jarred almost like I got bumped in the rear. I pulled over immediately and turned it off. My first thought were the rear end. I got it towed to the shop who built the trans(very respected guy around here)

The car wouldnt roll backwards off the tow truck in neutral, but it would roll forwards?? we started it up after it was off the truck and NONE of the gears seemed to work at all. what could it possibly be? he wont find out til early next week and its driving me nuts.

we did open the rear end up and all was fine there. Im really hoping I dont need to send my converter out for a cut and clean. lol Im also hoping this doesnt cost me much because the trans is maybe 6 months old and 6k miles with only about 10 track passes.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Not a tranny expert, but when you heard the clunk, was it in the middle of a shift?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

very well could have been, not completely sure though honestly.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:30 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Similar situation happen to me with my rebuilt tranny, except we were making some tuning wot passes, then it fell on it's face and lost first and reverse gears. The input drum shaft w/snap rings in my tranny had broken.

On another occasion similar to yours, I was making a wot pass, then heard a pop. After a short distance, the rearend locked up on me. Come to find the ring gear bolts had backed out. I know you said the rearend was checked, but are you sure you didn't see any bolts lodged up between the carrier and ring gear?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shortdog
Similar situation happen to me with my rebuilt tranny, except we were making some tuning wot passes, then it fell on it's face and lost first and reverse gears. The input drum shaft w/snap rings in my tranny had broken.

On another occasion similar to yours, I was making a wot pass, then heard a pop. After a short distance, the rearend locked up on me. Come to find the ring gear bolts had backed out. I know you said the rearend was checked, but are you sure you didn't see any bolts lodged up between the carrier and ring gear?
I supppose thats something we can look into as well. Im really stressing because I dont want to drop more money into this that I have set aside to finish my paint job lol
Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

If its a trans failure you need to have the converter cut/cleaned.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Hi,
your symptoms suggest transmission failure. However,the total damage could be minimal. Your being cautious could have saved total failure. Good luck and have a blessed week...........jim