Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about gear position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question about gear position sensor

I'm considering pulling out my center console and factory shifter and installing a ratchet shifter. I know many people have done this with dedicated racecars, and I was wondering before I do it what needs to be done with the gear position indicator? I know basically what it does, but not what to do with it in regards to aftermarket shifters, or what the PCM would do with it unplugged.

Could anyone give me some pointers?
I tried searching "shift position indicator" "gear position indicator" "gear indicator" and a bunch others and just haven't found the right combination.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
I'm considering pulling out my center console and factory shifter and installing a ratchet shifter. I know many people have done this with dedicated racecars, and I was wondering before I do it what needs to be done with the gear position indicator? I know basically what it does, but not what to do with it in regards to aftermarket shifters, or what the PCM would do with it unplugged.

Could anyone give me some pointers?
I tried searching "shift position indicator" "gear position indicator" "gear indicator" and a bunch others and just haven't found the right combination.

Thanks
Get rid of it, its only used on trucks. Get the th400 style (also used on 4l80s) short selector shaft.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow67
Get rid of it, its only used on trucks. Get the th400 style (also used on 4l80s) short selector shaft.
Thanks again slow, I took one of those off the tranny about 3 weeks ago, hopefully I didn't throw it away, because that bag just went to the road out about 3 hours ago lol.
I can't help but wonder though, GM is famous for trying to save every penny X 100,000 cars, why whould they put it on and not need it?

Oh well, I'll get it unhooked, thanks for the reply.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Thanks again slow, I took one of those off the tranny about 3 weeks ago, hopefully I didn't throw it away, because that bag just went to the road out about 3 hours ago lol.
I can't help but wonder though, GM is famous for trying to save every penny X 100,000 cars, why whould they put it on and not need it?

Oh well, I'll get it unhooked, thanks for the reply.
Its needed for trucks, but not other apps (like vans and motorhomes and such).
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am looking to do the same thing too and have the same questions.

What is this 400 shaft you are talking about? I already have my Jakes Performance built 4L80 in the car and was using it with the stock shifter and I used the stock shifter leaver off my old 4L60. The lever I am speaking of is the one that bolts to the shifter shaft coming out of the trans. Do I need to change that lever to a 400 lever? Or something else to make it work right with the new ratchet shifter?

So everyone agrees they just leave the shift position sensor unhooked and out? There is nothing that needs to be done in the tune for this?

Thanks all.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
I am looking to do the same thing too and have the same questions.

What is this 400 shaft you are talking about? I already have my Jakes Performance built 4L80 in the car and was using it with the stock shifter and I used the stock shifter leaver off my old 4L60. The lever I am speaking of is the one that bolts to the shifter shaft coming out of the trans. Do I need to change that lever to a 400 lever? Or something else to make it work right with the new ratchet shifter?

So everyone agrees they just leave the shift position sensor unhooked and out? There is nothing that needs to be done in the tune for this?

Thanks all.
Post a picture just to be certain.

The PCM needs to see ground in neutral and park, and the stock shifter does this. I'm not sure which wire it is, I was T56 first. I used a relay on the neutral safety switch to supply a ground (since my neutral safety switch was +12V) since my aftermarket shifter had no provision for another switch.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will take a pic tonight and get it up here.

The new shifter I have has a reverse and neutral switch. The original shifter has wires and seperate switches for these as well as best I can remember. I will conferm this tonight.

So if you switched from a M6 to the 80, did you change your program to an auto or leave it as if it was a M6?

Quick Reply: Question about gear position sensor