Sponsored by:

4L60E puked after stall

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E puked after stall

Edit 5/8/11:

So this is a little different than the original post, but didn't want to waste starting another thread.

Basically here is my problem now and I need help. The only thing I can think of is that trans fluid is leaking out of my new B&M cooler itself. I bought all new rubber lines (Gates 5/16" rated to 400psi) and compression clamps instead of the 3/8" cheap line and worm clamps that came with it. All connections are secure and tight. It is not leaking out of the in/out where the lines meet the cooler.

Yet, it is still leaking, definitely from the front passenger right under the radiator (where the B&M cooler is). The radiator has a wet spot of trans fluid in the basic shape of the cooler that is sitting in front of it. It is a slow leak, and will not even drip on the floor that much, but after a hard drive, you can look under and see that it has leaked. ANy ideas? HELP! Anyone have a faulty B&M out of the box? Thanks.

Last edited by aothepresident; 05-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 PM

If its all over the engine bay I would suspect it puked out of the filler tube. Air pockets or the amount of oil would be my guess here for the source of your problem.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vince B
If its all over the engine bay I would suspect it puked out of the filler tube. Air pockets or the amount of oil would be my guess here for the source of your problem.
That's a good possibility but it seems the area around the fill tube is pretty dry and the seal is pretty tight on it. I shouldn't have said ALL over the engine bay, it's dry on the driver's side and soaked on passenger side. How would air pockets get in there? I think I may have overfilled
Old 04-16-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you overtighten the fitting into the stock cooler and crack it?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Bump for any help on updated original post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Could it be from the previous ports in the radiator where the tranny lines were connected? The angle of the radiator coupled with hard acceleration could cause the leftover fluid to come out a little.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sleepy_z
Could it be from the previous ports in the radiator where the tranny lines were connected? The angle of the radiator coupled with hard acceleration could cause the leftover fluid to come out a little.
Thanks for the response. As long as I follow you correctly, I don't think it's from the ports. I never disconnected any lines from the radiator, I just routed the aftermarket cooler into the stock plumbing. Out line from radiator > in B&M cooler > out B&M cooler > stock hard line back to trans.

Bear with me, this TC and cooler install is by far the most technical thing I've ever done.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aothepresident

... The radiator has a wet spot of trans fluid in the basic shape of the cooler that is sitting in front of it. It is a slow leak, and will not even drip on the floor that much, but after a hard drive, you can look under and see that it has leaked. ANy ideas? HELP! Anyone have a faulty B&M out of the box? Thanks.
Looks like you have found it... spray it clean (remove all traces of fluid) and see if the same thing happens.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joecar
Looks like you have found it... spray it clean (remove all traces of fluid) and see if the same thing happens.
I think it will be pretty difficult to remove all traces of fluid on the radiator, but basically what I'm hearing is the cooler itself must have a pinhole or something. I was hoping that wasn't the case, now I'll have to take it all off again, send it back and get a new one....
Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jack car up. clean underneath very well. start it up and sit underneath and wait until you see where it is leaking from.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

yeah that does suck...
Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jsteele90
jack car up. clean underneath very well. start it up and sit underneath and wait until you see where it is leaking from.
I wish it was that easy. I've tried but it's impossible to see up there and it won't leak enough at idle. Even if it did, really only the residual effects are apparent when it leaks down into the trough under the radiator and then down/out to the passenger side of that trough (if that makes sense)
Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i seriously doubt you got a bad tranny cooler. double check all your connections. its also possible you may have damaged the cooler on installation
Old 05-11-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aothepresident
I think it will be pretty difficult to remove all traces of fluid on the radiator, ...
Spray the cooler and the radiator with brake cleaner, and let it air dry, or blow it dry with compressed air... it will be squeaky clean/dry.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, so I had some time to work on it today. The brake cleaner tip worked pretty well. Wiped everything down and idled the car, I even put it in gear and did some brake stands to try to get the system under more stress than just idle. Didn't get any visible leaking really, but still got minimal leaking after a short drive.

If I damaged a fin on the radiator would it cause a leak? If anywhere, the fluid seems to be coming from the bottom of the radiator/ac condenser by the passenger side very bottom corner. The only sign of the leak is when it pools up by that bottom corner.