Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fluid Change: Drop the pan or complete flush?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I have heard to much new fluid isnt good and may shock the trans but idk if I believe that.
I don't believe the whole "shocking" thing either. I've never changed the fluid and had a trans grenade shortly after.

How many miles are on your car, and what is the factory recommended service life? Does GM recommend flushing the system, or just changing the fluid in the pan?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90,000 on the car now. I believe the last flush was done when the torque converter was put in a few years ago.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that's the case, I would just drop the pan, change your filter, and top it off with Dex VI. Check the fluid in a couple months and see if it needs changed again.

The converter holds a lot of fluid. I would hope that whoever put the converter in also put new fluid in. If that's the case, then a lot of the fluid was changed with the converter. However, I have heard that some shops offer to save and reuse trans fluid, so there's always that chance that it did not get new fluid.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
If that's the case, I would just drop the pan, change your filter, and top it off with Dex VI. Check the fluid in a couple months and see if it needs changed again.

The converter holds a lot of fluid. I would hope that whoever put the converter in also put new fluid in. If that's the case, then a lot of the fluid was changed with the converter. However, I have heard that some shops offer to save and reuse trans fluid, so there's always that chance that it did not get new fluid.
I ended up dropping the pan and topping it off. Ended up taking exactly 5 qts.

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid Change: Drop the pan or complete flush?