Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurt the converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurt the converter

This a Yank SS3600. The tuner left the converter locked on the dyno. To say the least, soon after the car started showing signs of not wanting to shift into 2nd. Well the verdict came in yesterday. The clutches were worn and issues with the piston in the converter. Also, 2nd gear band in the trans was destroyed
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully you can get it replaced under warranty, not sure how Yank handles their products under those conditions though. If they won't cover it I would try making the tuner pay for a new one since it was their fault...was there a waiver you signed voiding them from responsibility? Because if so they may try to use that but it might just cover breakage from normal dyno use, not them being stupid with your converter.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thats disapointing to hear. I hope it turns out well and you get another tc.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Hopefully you can get it replaced under warranty, not sure how Yank handles their products under those conditions though. If they won't cover it I would try making the tuner pay for a new one since it was their fault...was there a waiver you signed voiding them from responsibility? Because if so they may try to use that but it might just cover breakage from normal dyno use, not them being stupid with your converter.
The place that has the trans is re-building my converter....Yank is out. Besides, it's local. This converter was designed to handle around 550hp, so I'm thinking its due to the tuner keeping it locked. Good news though, I found a better tuner. Ya, I think I signed a waiver, but I'm calling him anyways.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How will they get the parts to fix the converter/clutch as our clutch is special with a custom lining and we do not sell parts?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yank
How will they get the parts to fix the converter/clutch as our clutch is special with a custom lining and we do not sell parts?
Ummm....I don't know
Old 08-04-2011, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The converter should go back to Yank IMO.

Also, locking the converter on a dyno is somewhat of a common practice. The tuner should have OK'd it with you beforehand while telling you the risk/benefits first, meaning you would be making the final decision. A single disk converter is not meant/designed to be locked under WOT conditions. However, with modding a car there is always a risk, so going around pointing liability fingers at people should be done with care, as there could have been a million different reasons for a failure. Pointing 100% responsibility at the tuner is an irresponsible way of handling it.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
The converter should go back to Yank IMO.

Also, locking the converter on a dyno is somewhat of a common practice. The tuner should have OK'd it with you beforehand while telling you the risk/benefits first, meaning you would be making the final decision. A single disk converter is not meant/designed to be locked under WOT conditions. However, with modding a car there is always a risk, so going around pointing liability fingers at people should be done with care, as there could have been a million different reasons for a failure. Pointing 100% responsibility at the tuner is an irresponsible way of handling it.
I did mention to the tuner, about my concern with keeping it locked. He shunned it off like it was no big deal. As far as the converter goes, supposedly the company spoke to Dave about the converter...supposedly. Well If there are any issues, the converter is going back to Yank.