Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Override for B&M Tranny Cooler w/ thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Manual Override for B&M Tranny Cooler w/ thermostat

I have the big 28k (maybe 30k) B&M tranny cooler that has the thermostat in the cooler that cuts the fan for the cooler on at 175 and off at 170. In traffic and heavy stop and go even in 100 degree weather I never have a problem. I don't even have a problem at the track after making a pass in 103 track temps. End of the run it is 210 and it takes about 25-30 minutes to get the gauge back down to 100-110.

I had something happen on Thursday though that made me think about what's coming at LSfest in True Street when I make my 3 back to back passes.....I didn't get a chance to allow my car to cool down before making my qualifying pass in Real Street 7.49 and I sat in the lanes for a good 10 minutes and at the staging beams the temp was 210 and by the end of the run it was 240-250!

My fan on the cooler is wired to run until the temp hits 170 so it cools down quickly after the car is shut off. My question is, would it be as simple as bypassing that relay or controlling it with a toggle switch so that as soon as the car cut's on with 100 degree tranny temps so that when the car cuts on the fan cuts on.

Now I know there probably won't be 104 degree track temps in KY at LSfest in September but it could be 85 easily on the track if its in the 70's which I hope it is during the day so it might not be as bad, but it's good insurance.

If anyone has done this with this type of b&m cooler, let me know how you did it. If there is an easier way by just going straight to the power and ground wire for the fan then I will just use a simple toggle switch to turn it on. I can also leave it on in between rounds to cool the fluid down quicker. This should also tremendously help my clutches in my tranny and help it live longer.

Also I've put about 1500 miles on my new tranny. I'm using Amsoil Super Synthetic ATF Fluid. Should I flush the tranny and fluid to be safe and put a new filter on it? The Amsoil Fluid is expensive, but I have about 5-6 quarts left over so it won't be too bad to do it and fluid is a lot cheaper than a new billet tranny
Old 08-08-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the SLP Fan Switch and you can controll the fans 100% of the time. See my Sig.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that the same thing as any other normal toggle switch?

I have an extra toggle laying around I can put on it to control it the way I want.