Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 4L60E from hell

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 4L60E from hell

So my torque converter finally went, well, its on its way, it stutters into gear and overall is really shitty. i have had a 3600 rpm stall in my garage for 3 months now and it was time to put it in. We got everything disconnected, every line, the dipstick tube, the bellhousing bolts, the cross member, and still the trans is stuck to the block, we've used pb blast, a pry bar, a ratchet, a screw driver, and a 1995 chevy tahoe (dont ask) and this thing still wont budge!

so i just gave up and am about to reattach everything tomorrow. i've just wasted 2 evenings working on this piece of **** automatic trans,

turns out the threads on the torque converter were stripped too (used piece of ****)

anyways, any suggestions, let me know...
Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be surprised what I've had to do to get transmissions out in the past. It is down right scary. The transmission is more than likely stuck on the dowel pins that align the transmission to the engine. I would take a map gas torch to the case around the dowels and heat it up really good. When I was younger working on my friends old mud trucks I've had to put a junk tire under the transmission, heat the dowel pins and kick the transmission side to side till it fell out onto the tire. It sounds rediculous but sometimes extreme measures are required to get things done. I'm not saying this is what you need to do in your cause. But I would heat the dowel pins and try it again.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get mad the 1st time I took down a tranny it took us 5 days 2 get it down and on again lol

Quick Reply: The 4L60E from hell