Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long will my 4L60E hold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how long will my 4L60E hold?

Hey guys, have the stock tranny in my T.A and was wondering how long it should hold with a H/C setup and a decent sized stall. Only planning on bringing the car to the track every once in a while, just mainly looking for to do a nice street setup but I have friends scaring me into saying the trans wont hold up. I granny my car, rarely putting my foot in it. The car has 94k and was still FACTORY ORIGINAL when I got it at 89k and was well pampered for, just to give a little info. Any input helps guys! Thanks!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a crapshoot at best. Nobody can say for sure if it will last or how long it will last... Especially with that mileage on it.

If it's not in your budget to have a nice high performance unit built now all you can do is hit it and see what happens. I wouldn't have high expectations for it living long though.

Good luck with the new combo, heads / cam cars are a blast to play with!

g

Last edited by Gilbert@Ace Racing; 08-13-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Gilbert, any recomendations for a replacment? Heard the 4L80Es are awsome but a bitch to install properly?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Run a cooler,deep pan and don't beat on it. Change your fluid twice a year if you don't drive it much. Run low gas levels and anything you can do to lighten the car will work well.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Mike, I really don't drive the car all that much but even though im a newbie to the LS1 I am no newbie to the car world, I know without the proper supporting mods/Adjustments to handle it throwing a bunch of power at a car will get you nowhere very fast...so if I have to spend money on a good tranny first that's fine, just don't know which one
Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 AM
FormerVendor

Well, instead of talking about a conversion let's talk about your long term goals. A 60e in the hands of the correct builder is actually a formidable transmission. But, they do have their limitations.

If you're going to be hitting it hard with a power adder down the road, say maybe a 200 shot of nitrous or 10# of boost... then I probably would recommend converting it to an 80E.

But, if you're going to stay with the heads / cam power level for a while then the 60e is a terrific option. The reason they get a bum rap is that there are so damned many builders out there who say that they can build them, they slap a few parts in them and call them a high performance transmission and then they fail miserably within the first few months.

I got a call last week from a client in Wyoming who had me build him a 60e back in '08 for his heads / cam car right before he got his orders to move up there. He had me build him one of my mid level units and it ran great for some 3 years and it lost reverse over the July 4th weekend this year. The good news is I have continued developing that unit over the years and know exactly how to help prevent that part failure today, the bad news is he's in Wyoming on a military base and there aren't too many shops he trusts to dig it out for him so he can send it back for me to freshen it up and do the upgrade mods to it!

My point is, plan on spending somewhere around $2,000 for a very nice transmission now and you'll be ahead of the game when the time comes to upgrade.

Are you going to be replacing the converter when you do the engine upgrades?

g
Old 08-13-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah Gilbert, doing a converter too, thinking about maybe a 4k, and as to what you just wrote, im not a fan of giglle juice or forced induction so the car will stay NA and other than the H/C I might do a bigger intake and matching TB so im looking to do a full bolt on NA car when its all said and done
Old 08-13-2011, 08:08 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds like a fun street machine to me. I know many guys have installed a 4,000 rpm converter and like them, I know the motor will likely produce good results launching at a big rpm. But, let me share my experience with 4,000 rpm converters that live in street cars.

Over the years I have installed many, many converters for countless clients... hell 2 nights ago in the Top Sportsman car I tune, I just went and swapped the 6,000 rpm piece out for a 3,900 rpm stall unit because we are going to pill it up hard core tonight and I know the 6k unit will not be efficient downtrack. But... my point is, I have removed more 4k converters for guys over the years than I have installed for guys. They perform great! Nothing wrong with that right? But, for many guys it just gets old listening to the motor come up before the car moves, they also complain about their mileage. I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to give you another perspective.

I have had great success with units in 4th gen f-body cars that stall anywhere between 2,800 and 3,600. Now, that doesn't mean you are like many of my clients. It means that many of my clients had fun with their big stalling converters but decided to go a different route a year or two down the road.

I'm at the shop, give me a shout and we'll discuss some combination choices for your car if you like.

g
Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Will do, thanks Gilbert
Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah wont last long with that much power and stress from a stall.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a 3800 stall and wish I had more and my car is a driver. Try to drive cars with different ones and see what you like
Old 08-13-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the input guys, talked to Gilbert for about a half an hour and the man really knows his stuff, anyone needs trans advice give him a call! I know ill be calling him again once I get my H/C setup locked down. Th

Quick Reply: how long will my 4L60E hold?