Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutches Slipping Past 5k RPM - Professional or Experienced Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011 | 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Valve float and/or the wrong harmonic damper each can make the dyno graph dip down like your pic showed (not just flatten out, but dropping)...

on LS1Tech, there are various examples of valve float, and one example of harmonic damper, all showing a significant drop.
Old 10-25-2011 | 11:00 AM
Launching!

Ok, thanks. But damn.. I will have to look up those threads. I've been planning on doing the springs but I need a DD first
Old 10-26-2011 | 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls2SilverBullet
Background: Have a 98 z28 with a ls2/4l60e. Car has full boltons, cam, supporting valvetrain mods, suspension, stall, etc..

I have a good understanding of how engines work, but trannys, not so much, so I'm looking for more knowledge, understanding, and expertise..

So the dyno recently confirmed the clutches are slipping past 5,000 RPM. (Ever since the first time I ran the car WOT through the gears it has trouble on the 2-3 shift and will limiter bounce untill i back out of the throttle. I always thought the shiftpoint was too high and kind of ignored this because I thought it was the tune and RARELY go WOT or even have the room to run the car through those gears. It seems like it dosn't do it everytime, but I think that is me backing off through the shift out of habit).
My car had the same issue around 2-3 weeks after installing my TC. It would only happen on WOT, i thought it was the shift points, brought it into the shop, fine. Brought it to the track same issue. I tested on the street one more time same result. Didnt matter if it was from the line or roll it did it. This is the same exact thing i had, had this issue for about a month and then a week ago i drove the car home from school, started it back up to go to work and i noticed right away something was wrong. The car no longer shifts from 1-2, itll just keep revving and revving until i reach 30 mph. Currently still DD'ing the car while im waiting for the new trans to come in. I hate to say it but the trans might need to replaced. I wanted to deny it so much but in the end it was clear.

Quick Reply: Clutches Slipping Past 5k RPM - Professional or Experienced Advice Please!